Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #1 
fishman12

The Fish Store Rant Thread

So I created a thread "I have seen it" and a few people ranted about their chain pet stores... So here's the place to rant if your Petco, Petsmart, Walmart, etc is no good...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #2 
Luimeril

walmart sucked. badly. Remy was a betta i tried to save, because he had nearly no tail, was pale with deep black stress stripes, and was in nasty water. he died after about two days, poor boy. D: he was fought, because no one is ever there to watch the fish.

thankfully, they stopped selling bettas.

my petsmart is nearly as bad. all the bettas, while in clean water, had SBD, except the boy i picked up, a lovely black-bodied veil with deep red fins, with the faintest hint of electric blue on his top fin. sadly, he died the night i brought him home. D:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Petco...I'll spare everyone telling about Kaida and Kalona but my heart was shattered.
WalMart - Worse...Everyone's heard about Maka too and the rude employee whom I found out was responsible for the fish could have been the one to hurt her.
I'll spare everyone the stories again. Petsmart as far as mine was concerned during the huge tropical fish sale everything was right...A female betta even had her own tank.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #4 
masshiimarro

ughhh petco... even my walmart takes better care of fish than them!
is go there, and the poor bettas all had stress stripes on them, or their tails are rotted/bitten away..
petsmart is by far the best in my area though. could be because there are alot of people going to that one and so everythings pretty well stocked/cared for. its clean. :D
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

My local pet store is horrible. So far they have told me...

- Cycle is all you need to add fish.
- It's ok to feed expired cat food
- Rats don't need to be in pairs (they do!)
- Bettas are ok in .5g and anything more could cause serious disease
- Danios are peaceful fish
- Angels would be ok in a 1g tank
- ferrets cannot sexed until over 3 years of age O_o

And best of all, they can't sit at the tanks and clean fish out every 5 seconds. I asked a worker to clean out the Swordtail tank (there was AT LEAST 20 dead fish in the tank). He snapped at me with the 5 second comment and I said "Listen Buddy, there are dead fish in EVERY TANK, I know you just got a shipment in. But when there are 20 dead fish in ONE TANK, you **** well clean it. I'm not complaining about the other tanks am I? No, just this one. I WAS going to buy Swordtails today, but I wouldn't take fish from that tank if you payed me. They have to be some sick if they all dropped like flies in 5 seconds."

The next day I went in, he was super nice to me and my fiance. The tanks were all clean too so I said "Hey Buddy?" and he turned around waiting for a blast.... "Tanks look good today!" and laughed lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 
TonyK

I thought Petco by me was pretty good at keeping the Bettas clean. I usually go in there and I see no dead Bettas none suffering and all looked good. Just recently I went to check them out and I found 2 dead ones and the water just looked old and horrible. That really sucked the life out of me.

I won't even get into Petsmart they are worse than Petco. Lucky for me I found a pretty reputable place out of Milwaukee that specializes in Bettas so he will be getting my business when the time comes.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #7 
Hinata

Hikaru came from Meijer which treats their fish like dirt. The containers that the betta fish are in become filthy and they don't even clean them out. You should've seen me rant to an employee about it. The only reason I was ranting was because they were cleaning out the tanks with the other fish, but totally ignored the betta containers. Once they were done with the tanks they'd pick up the supplies and leave like the bettas didn't even exist. I've seen several bettas who are in extreme pain because of the treatment they get. It's something that isn't necessary and shouldn't happen. There's a lot more horrible things going on in Meijer, but I refuse to bring them up because it's too horrible to talk about.
Hinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 
lemonpebbles

The petco near me is really good with keeping the bettas the healthy and they have most every type and color. The only thing that bothers me is that the employees don't give out the best info... Another thing that bothers me is that there are always a bunch of bratty kids running around sticking their fingers in the bettas cups and tapping on them and then they beg their parents to get them one, but I guess thats not the stores fault ._.;
lemonpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #9 
Coho

We have a local fish store in town that keeps all their Bettas in 10 gallon tanks and they are very healthy..but they always only have a couple. So I go to Petsmart, and their fish seem in good shape, but still stuck in those little cups.

Walmarts fish...oh Lord, they are so sickly.
Coho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
Tisia

the last time I went into the petsmart near me their stupid blue water was so freaking dark I couldn't really see anything, really annoying when I can't even tell what the fish looks like. hate the blue water so much
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote