Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #1 
casshyr

What is the MINIMUM size tank for a betta

Please don't just say "the bigger the better". Based on your experience + what you have heard, what would you recommend as the minimum size tank in order to keep a healthy betta (not for breeding, but just a single betta)

I have a glass jar that is about ~3 gallons, would that be ok?
Based on my living space, I can't really go anything larger.
casshyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #2 
TheBlueBettaFish

Yes! I have my Red in a 2.5 gal. That's what i think is the minimum
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by casshyr View Post
Please don't just say "the bigger the better". Based on your experience + what you have heard, what would you recommend as the minimum size tank in order to keep a healthy betta (not for breeding, but just a single betta)

I have a glass jar that is about ~3 gallons, would that be ok?
Based on my living space, I can't really go anything larger.
A 3 gal. glass jar??? WOW - I would LOVE to find something like that!!! And, yes, that is big enough.

Absolute MINIMUM size for a betta, IMO, is 1.5 gal. - with the needed water changes (two 50% + and one 100% per week), it would be fine. I know many will disagree, but that is my opinion.

BTW, where in the heck did you find a 3 gal. jar?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 
casshyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
A 3 gal. glass jar??? WOW - I would LOVE to find something like that!!! And, yes, that is big enough.

Absolute MINIMUM size for a betta, IMO, is 1.5 gal. - with the needed water changes (two 50% + and one 100% per week), it would be fine. I know many will disagree, but that is my opinion.

BTW, where in the heck did you find a 3 gal. jar?
I just bought it at a pet shop lol... Can you describe your water change schedule in more detail?
casshyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #5 
fleetfish

I keep most of my bettas in 2.5's or larger. Most - One boy is in a 1g and one of my girls is in a .5g . As long as you keep up with water changes every other day for a .5 and every two - three days for a 1g, it's okay to keep them in smaller spaces. Also, these are only temporary until I can get something larger and have a little more space. :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

Size is personal matter, I know plenty breeders who say 1g is fine with proper care, others on here will swear anything under 5g is inhumane. It's all about what you feel comfortable with and what you are willing to do as far as upkeep. The smaller the tank, the more water changes. I have given my Bettas 2.5g and they did horrible. My current boys are quite happy with a 1.5g with all the trimmings :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by casshyr View Post
I just bought it at a pet shop lol... Can you describe your water change schedule in more detail?
Wish I could find something like that!

More detail? Don't know if this is what you want, but here goes:

Monday - siphon all but a couple inches of water out & refill with like temp. conditioned water.

Wednesday - remove fish, dump ALL water, clean everything, set it back up, acclimate fish to new water.

Friday - same as Monday.

This is assuming the tank isn't filtered.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #8 
Luimeril

my personal minimum is 1 gallon, and that's for Lulu. bigger IS better, though, and most say 2 gallons is the minimum. Lulu's my special case, though. x: she's scared of any tank bigger than her triangular one gallon, and trust me, i've tried. even 1.5 gallons is too big for her, and she hides until i fish her out and put her back in her triangular one gallon. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #9 
bettaloverforever16

I have a 0.75 gallon tank, and find if you do the proper ammount of water changes you're betta can do fine in one.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i make sure my smaller tanks(Lulu's, Purple's, and Ichi's, as well as Heavy's bowl) are cleaned regularly. x: Lulu makes sure i know when it's time to change her water. she freaks out at the tiniest bit of ammonia, so i know exactly when to change her water. x: as for Ichi, he bites his tail when the water starts getting 'bad', so i make sure to do a 50% twice a week, and a 100% once a week. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote