Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #1 
Sakura8

Bloated or Eggy?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5g (currently in 8 cup Gladware QT)
What temperature is your tank? 78-79
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? divided, one male betta
(note, she also spends most of her time in a 10g sorority; was removed because she was stress-striping)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day, very small portions

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100% with gravel vac
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated, grayed belly, clamped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? stopped eating, lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two nights ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? QT with epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? less than a year old

The first night I noticed the symptoms, her ovipositor was very noticeable. She had seemed depressed after being housed next to my male and refused food so I took her out and QTed her. Started her on epsom last night when she appeared to be bloating even more. Now she has finally passed waste, not sure what it could mean. She won't eat even garlic-soaked food. Is she passing eggs? Is it a parasite? I have Maracyn-II and General Cure. Help is much appreciated.

Pics attached.
Attached Images

Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 
MikiMaki

She looks eggy, the white fecal usually means she's absorbing eggs and using their nutrients. Is she usually housed next to the male or was this new?
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #3 
Sakura8

She's usually housed in the sorority but she got a little stressed so I removed her for a short time. She was next to the male for maybe 3 days? So that would cause her to lose her appetite, too, if she was eating/absorbing eggs?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #4 
MikiMaki

A combination of stress from the tank and then moving next to the boy could have caused her not to want to eat for a few days. I wouldn't worry as long as she's still pooping. If she stays near the boy then she'll probably get used to it and not be so eggy all the time, or if she goes back to the girls she'll loose them.

When my girl was first put near the boys she was super eggy for weeks so I had to fast her to get her to absorb some eggs. Just for a day or two extra that week and now she's used to him and not eggy at all.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Thanks for the advice MikiMaki, it helps a lot. I now see quite a few eggs on the bottom of her QT container and it took her most of the day to pass a rather gross 1 1/2" string of eggy poo. You definitely helped set my mind at ease, thanks.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Update: she's still passing eggy poo every few hours but she also seems to have developed a bit of floaty butt. At some times, she is almost doing a headstand. She's in 1 tsp of epsom. Is this normal behavior for releasing eggs or did something go wrong?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Getting kinda really worried now. How long does it normally take for them to poo out all eaten/absorbed eggs? It's been 3 days. She passes at least 3 eggy poos a day but she hasn't gone down in size, is still pale and listless (but not yet lethargic) and is clamped and a little floaty butt. Is there anything else I can do besides epsom salt?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Seriously, she's still not eating and she's still just pooing eggy poo all day. She's stil clamped, still pale. I have no real experience with this kind of situation. Does she need treatment, more epsom salt? What's going on with her? Is she eggbound?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Pic. Sorry for the blurry quality but you can see her clamped tail and some of the poo she's passing. Also her color is usually much darker and more burgundy.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #10 
MikiMaki

Sorry, it's finals week, not been around.

This definately isn't normal with being eggbound. Have you tried giving her a pea to get the rest of the poop out of her and help with her sbd. You might up the epsom salts, but I don't know the exact dosage.