Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #1 
Norichan

How did it come to this? AKA, 'Does anyone here know about goldfish?'

Fantails, I think, specifically. They look a little like Ryukins, but much smaller. And not quite as round.

I rescued two from a small fountain in WalMart. Some customer dumped them in there, I don't even pretend to understand. But they were going to die if they stayed in that puddle, so I couldn't stand idly by. At least with me they'll have a chance.

So, if ANYONE on this forum keeps or has kept goldfish before, please help T_T What can I do to maximize their chances of survival?

The stats are this: 2 fish, 16gs, filtered, with an airstone. They're eating and moving around, no clamped fins. I have ammonia test strips, readings are all fine so far. I don't know if the tank is fully cycled, but my betta lived in there for several weeks with no harm done.
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #2 
kathstew

Try posting your questions here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...ds-atherinids/
Its part of this website's parent site. You can login using the same login you use here. There are a lot of people there who are very helpful!
Good luck!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

I dont know much, but get them at least 10 gallons.. I believe they may need closer to 20-30 for two of them.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #4 
kathstew

I think its 20 gallons for one goldfish, and then an extra 10 for every one you add. So two goldfish= 30 gallons. Or its 30 gallons for one, and 10 for every one you add.
Its one or the other :P
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

I think its only for common goldfish you need 30 :o

Those get big D8
Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

i've kept goldfish for about 12 years .. for goldfish i would recommend 3 gals per inch per fish .. and because goldfish can grow up to 7 - 8 inches is why generally each goldfish needs 21- 24 gals of water .. but you can upgrade your tank size as they grow .. in my tank they seem to grow about 1 inch a year .. they can live a very long time if pampered up to 10 years ..

goldfish poop a lot .. i mean like massively a lot .. u might feed them a little they will poop out twice what u fed them .. i would recommend your filter be the next size up for the tank size that you have ... for example my gold fish tank is 20 gals .. but the filter i have in there is for a 40 - 60 gal tank

they will probably need more air .. for a 16-20 gal tank i would use at least a 4 inch airstone/wand/bubble wall .. but don't keep the air on all the time .. turn it off during feeding time and make sure there's no air bubbles floating at the top .. a common problem with goldfish is when they eat the air bubbles and it gets stuck in their digestive track and will cause problems ..

goldfish also do not know when to stop eating .. so do not over feed them .. goldfish can literally burst from eating .. and it's so sad to see the goldfish at the store with huge bloated belly's .. if your feeding them flakes it's best to stir them in a cup of de-chlorinated water before letting them eat it .. so that the flakes will sink so you have a lower chance of them digesting an air bubble when they come up to the surface to eat .. pellets will take longer to soak and i wouldn't recommend them till they are bigger .. like 2-3 inches big

goldfish like cooler temps .. 68 - 72 is ideal.. no need for a heater .. unless u live in an area that snows .. and gets really cold .. don't let it get lower then 50 or higher then 86 .. they are hardly fish and very easy to take care of .. so i'm sure they will do fine in their new home =)
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Great info :)

I didnt know that about them. Its interesting about the airstones. I knew they needed cooler temps, but didnt know they needed* more air. Huh :o
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

We have a member here, Lupin, who knows EVERYTHING about goldfish but, unfortunately, he's never on much anymore.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Ive noticed that :( Boo, Lupin, come back to us!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #10 
laughing

For the two of them, 30 gallons is ideal, anything more is just more pleasurable for them! BUT, you will need about 50-60 gallons work of filtration! So either one large filter, or double 25s or 30s. The reason most goldfish die is because of such poor filtration and they're the biggest poopers of life >_>

Mistress gave you some good info!

I'd like to add, goldfish do best on a variety diet. I would look into that a little more. Also, siphoning gravel regularly is really nice to do since their poop can get trapped.

Other than that, I think they're just like every other fish, and any decor will do well!

Why the heck would someone just toss them..? o_0
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote