Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Exclamation Help with Prize Goldfish D:

So... my girlfriend (21) lives with her sister (40) and her mother. Her sisters two children got a couple of goldfish from the OC fair and well my heart broke looking at them. There is only one left alive and the poor thing is sooo pretty. But well... the picture will tell you enough.

I'm a little strapped on cash atm but I can't let it live like this. What can I / should I get? Other then being in crappy conditions it looks to be healthy.

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 07-30-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Forgot picture XD
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #2 
Abby

much bigger tank :( and a littl more water :) its cute :D
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

Its such a shame that they get to be so big :c Otherwise this would be easier lol
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #4 
kathstew

Yep, you need a bigger tank :(
I'm sorry. I hope it stays alive!
Good luck!
Try Craigslist, kijiji, ebay (using the distance button where it will show tanks that are closest to you), and maybe you'll find a deal! Good luck!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #5 
Potato123

a 10 gallon will be fine if you just keep that one goldfish in there.
Potato123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, that looks like a common goldfish. These grow to 12 inches long, and do best in ponds or tanks in the 50-100 gallon range. Stunting is a serious problem with goldfish that are housed in too small tanks, so the sooner you can upgrade, the better.

Goldfish generally need at least ten times filtration, as they are huge waste producers and very oxygen hungry. You're going to need to really watch your water parameters, as the amount of ammonia one goldfish can produce in an uncycled tank is astounding.

If you don't have much in the way of funds, a large sterilite tub with a good filter should suffice for now. You can chuck in some fast-growing plants like duckweed or elodea to suck up excess nitrates/ammonia, although your goldfish might appreciate the snack instead.

The most important thing now is to get him into a much bigger tank/tub, and to start getting it cycled. This will at least keep him healthy and comfortable, and take some of the stress off you.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #7 
ForbiddenSecrets

For the moment I have him tossed in a 20 gallon. Not good for the long run but he's teeny (about 2.3 in) at the moment so it buys me time at least c:
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

goldfish grow about 1 inch a year .. so the little guy will be ok for now .. goldfish need at least 3 gals per inch .. so as he get's bigger .. make sure to upgrade his tank ..

and he needs air .. at least a 4 inch bubble stone for a 20 gal tank .. 6 - 8 in would be ideal .. just make sure you turn the bubbles off when your feeding him so he doesn't eat the bubbles ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #9 
ForbiddenSecrets

Yeah I have an bubble wand running that I got the day after. I feel so bad that he seems lonely though. :/ I'm stopping myself from buying him friends just because I would need to upgrade a heck lot faster lol. So for now he's just going to have to deal with my company.

Actually if he manages to grow out successfully in the 20 gallon [until the proper time to move him of course] I'm looking for someone out here with a goldfish pond who will home him if healthy. I've come across quite a few people who have had them over the years so it might take me a bit but I'll find him a good forever home. [As sad as I will be to lose him]