Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #21 
Punki

I would think a screen would work well, i doubt a dragonfly would try to drop eggs through a tiny opening of a screen.
For the egg yolk id basically hardboil an egg, cut it in half, take about a peasized amount of egg yolk from the center then put it in a ziplock that had about 1/4 cup of water in it, then id squish and swoosh it around until i didnt see any chunks of yolk, only cloudy water. When id feed it id only dip my fingertip into the ziplock egg yolk then dip my finger into their tank. It falls incredibly slow so it gives them plenty of time to eat it. Id always drop in a similar spot so i could go back and siphon it out later on but usually they ate it/these nematodes that grew in my infusoria culture ate it, then theyd eat them so it wasnt too messy, but i kept a close eye on the ammonia just in case. I could keep the ziplock refrigerated for 3 full days before tossing it (just in case) but i read it will stink when it goes bad. Mine never went bad before i threw it out.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #22 
Nymmers

That's good, I have lots of eggs so I think I'll whip some up. I have a MW culture, and Attison's (SP) Betta Fry Starter from IBC website, where I got my regular pellets and Betta Pro. =3 Doesn't hurt to have more of a variety. I think I'm going to order some BBS eggs as well.
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #23 
Punki

Sounds like they will have a nice amount of infusoria as well :D I started off with about 50 fry, i think thats why i decided to do the finger dip egg yolk, some people use a dropper but i think thatd be too much for 50.
I made the mistake of buying decapsulated nonhatching brine shrimp eggs so i had to rush an order in for live at the last minute but it worked out fine since they had so much to start off with anyways. Now two weeks later i can put in the non-hatching bbs and they still go for it off the ground. Id try the microworms at least once in the beginning though, ive heard so many good things about it as a starter food, i wish id had some as well. The nematodes i had cultured worked out well in place of them but the real thing is better im sure :) They are going to be amazingly beautiful, you wont have problems homing them for sure :)
Edit: a quick google search turned up that microworms ARE nematodes lol, i had them growing in my tank naturally and didnt realize they were the same thing xD The fry LOVED those worms from freeswimming on, definitely try those out :)

Last edited by Punki; 08-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #24 
Nymmers

I'm very excited to see the fry. And I think I'll be leaving him in the entire time, he's done so good, and he is sleeping in the mean time, so I know he's getting some rest.

I'm trying to patient but of course I'm excited. Haha
Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #25 
Punki

lol My face was pasted against the glass for a week it seemed like
-wipes tank prints-
I removed my male when i couldnt find the fry but hed actually moved them to the plants so they could hunt better, once i removed him i realized. Anyways he managed to sneak two into his mouth and into his aftercare tank and is being a good daddy to them. If i ever bred him again id do the same. Plus if you leave your male in he will eat those dragonfly nymphs >=[ Great advantage! Just keep an eye on him and make sure hes spitting them up and not in :P
Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #26 
Nymmers

Well, last night I went to check on him, and there are 3 fry already hatched! Is that early? There are still A LOT of eggs, the fry would sink a little then swim right back up into the bubbles. Super excited!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #27 
Nymmers

Pictures as promised! We're up to about 6 fry. Still up in the nest but swimming a little. =D

Old 08-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #28 
vette91

i know this has been asked but I would love one of these if they have some marbling :)
Beautiful female!
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #29 
bettalover2033

Very nice female! I love the male! Just amazing!

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #30 
Nymmers

Thanks guys. She's absolutely adorable, but a very shy girl. I'm expecting some pretty fancy crossings from the two. =3 Her spawn brothers were Black / White, and Black / White / Yellow, all marbles with some dragon in them. I bought her from Aquastar, the male is from Smilesbetta, he still has lots of his spawn siblings on AB right now.