Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Screen door divider?

I'm planning on dividing a 10gal between a female and male betta and
I was wondering if the screen that you have on a screen doors would work alright?
I want something that allows water to flow through and we have a roll of that screen laying around.
If I can find a way to attach it where it won't move will it be ok?
After I rinse it in HOT, HOT water multiple times...
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 
bahamut285

In concept it should technically work, however they are usually pulled tight by the metal that surrounds the screen (the part you shove into the door frame). So unless you get one built custom to fit your tank dimensions, I think it will be too thin and too weak to hold itself up or by the DIY method we recommend on this forum.

Also, in my opinion they don't really occlude the line of sight on the other side. If humans can clearly see through it, I'm pretty sure your betta can.

HOWEVER, in the case that the flyscreens in your country are built to withstand giant insects and are not flimsy without the metal, it should be alright as long as water can pass through it and you feel it safely occludes the view.

In the event that you decide NOT to use flyscreens as a divider, the DIY version is to use plastic craft mesh from a craft store, using those plastic report cover spines to hold them up.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

I would not use any kind of metal long-term in a tank. It'll get funky. :(
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

For $6 I had enough canvas and report cover spines to do a 10g and a 5g tank lol I would recommend them because they work, no guessing. Sometimes when you try to use things around the house, you end up spending more to fix what it broke O_o
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote