Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #1 
lemonpebbles

fish zoned out after water change?

My fish came up with a case of fin rot so the past week I've been doing a 50% everyday and one 100%. I realized it wasn't starting to look any better so today I did another 100% in his 1.5 gallon and added 1 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt. I added the normal amount of dechlorinator and floated him. When I released him he did his normal swimming around and checking everything out, but now hes just floating motionless and staring off into space instead of his usual swimming around. The temperature in his old water was 78 F but his new temperature is 86 F so maybe thats it? Or maybe its the aquarium salt?
lemonpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes a big temp change can shock them especially if they are already compromised.....I would make another 50% water change with like temp water and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank...not just the replacement water.....

Also, if you want to treat...its best to QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76F range and Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannins=either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this premixed treatment water for 100% daily water changes for 10 days....

Increase the protein in his diet to encourage healing...small amount several times a day.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 
lemonpebbles

Ah, then I'll QT him in his betta cup. How do I prepare the oak leaf?
Old 07-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #4 
lemonpebbles

And another thing, I'm also using a new water conditioner.... It's called Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus
Old 07-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf from my oak tree in my yard.....I use 10-12 crushed per gallon of water for treatment....it sometimes will take on a smell after a day or so...don't worry....I have done multi test and experiments and have never had issues with it due to the smell....

The longer the oak leaf steeps the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it.......

Both the tannin and salt have antibacterial/fungal properties

When you premix the treatment water-let the leaves steep for about an hour to start releasing some tannins-add the salt 2tsp/gal and dechlorinator...shake well before use....Place the Betta in the cup half fill with tank water and top it off with the like temp premixed treatment water....wait an hour and make a 50% water changes with the premixed treatment water....count this day as "zero"...tomorrow-make 100% water change with this water and this will be day "1" do this for a total of 10 days....be sure the premixed treatment water is the same temp as the QT cup water with the Betta......if you have two small cups you can float a second cup with the treatment water in the heated tank to equalize temps....

Be sure and attach the QT cup to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter....I use duct-tape-others have used clamps and even hair clamps to attach the QT container...be sure and use a lid too.....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 
lemonpebbles

Okay, I'll start making some treatment water. Should I wait to move him to the QT after he looks better though? He's starting to lose color....

Last edited by lemonpebbles; 07-30-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #7 
lemonpebbles

I found out what the problem was, but I'm guessing the new conditoner cause it because it was the only thing that I did different. Last night I went out and bought new conditioner and placed him in a QT cup because when I tested his tank water the ammonia was almost at 2 ppm. Behavior wise, he seems to be doing better. He's greeting me again in his cup that floating in his tank and he got a little bit of his color back. The only problem now is that his fins still aren't looking to good, but I was too afraid to add AQ salt because he looked so bad before. I'll start him on an AQ treatment tommorow