Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #1 
Lucypie

Color-changing betta?

Okay. Just so you guys know, my other betta is fine now. It was just a case of overfeeding. Better safe than sorry.

Okay. I want to make sure this is not a disease and that she is just a normal, cool looking betta.
I went and bought some aquarium accessories.. and then broke down and bought a little female betta. Most of the bettas looked sick and several were DEAD. D: I felt so bad for them. I have always been interested in light colored bettas, and she was a light white/brown with long black horizontal stripes. Her fins are white unless you hit them with a light, and then they are a very very very light shimmering blue. I love her. She is BEAUTIFUL. But one thing about her intrigues me. She can change colors and stripes. Is this even possible? Is she even a betta if she can do that!??! I think it goes according to her mood. When I first got her, her stripes were horizontal and long. By the time I got home (from over an hour drive) she had NO stripes, just black speckles all over her body. When I placed her in her new tank, the long stripes returned. Today, I placed her in the big tank with the male to see how he liked her. He did something he has never done with me, even with mirrors. He flared at her. I don't know really if he meant it in agression or not, but he swam about 2 inches behind her and followed her through the tank. Her stripes became curvy vertical stripes. After I removed her from the tank, her stripes went back to long stripes.

Is this normal? Is she even a betta? Is it a sickness? Would it be possible to breed them? Yes, I know I have to get some more supplies to breed them, but for now I just wanna look at her.
Lucypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

It's completely normal :D
A female shows vertical stripes when she's ready to breed, it's her way of showing males that she's interested. The male was flaring to show off to her, like a courting kinda thing.
Her horizontal stripes are normal too, bettas get them when they are stressed, she was probably stressed from the moving around.
Congrats on your bettas btw! And welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here! :D

Edit: I wouldn't suggest breeding them till you are completely confident with your bettas as they are. Also think about the financial setback you would have to face.. Not to mention places to keep every fry separately, feeding them and finding them homes.. Research is very important. Breeding is not an easy task :)

Last edited by fightergirl2710; 07-30-2011 at 06:29 PM.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #3 
Lucypie

Yeah, I looked on it. It's a tough thing, but I think it would be cool. I don't think I have to worry about where to keep them separate. My aunt thinks she should buy a new fish tank every time she goes to Walmart. So I have plenty of bowls and tanks. EDIT: Plus, they could stay together for a while, and after that, I could give the older ones to friends/family/church members. Who wouldn't want some fish as beautiful as these?
Food is another thing. I don't think our local walmart is going to have anything like that. Could they eat super-super-super-super powdered bloodworms? I can get the stuf f powdered, believe me. When I saw the worms (which I am absolutely TERRIFIED of) I had to get someone to make them not look so... wormish xD
Lucypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:39 AM   #4 
fightergirl2710

The fry need various small organisms to survive, brine shrimp, microworms, infusoria... They have to be cultured. There's a lot of info on the forum about these things and many people that can help but I still think it is best for you to understand all aspects of the bettas before trying anything. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

It sounds like your bettas are both healthy! Color changes are normal. The goal is to limit how often they show horizontal stripes since that means they are stressed.

It doesn't sound like you should be attempting breeding any time soon... You need to learn more about bettas in general before you consider breeding them. Breeding is a lot of work. The parents have to be conditioned and in tip top condition. Additionally, fry do not eat dry foods. They only eat live foods. If you don't have a fish specialty store around you then you will have to purchase their foods online. Not to mention that you'll need at least 1 or 2 30+gal grow out tanks and will need to do daily water changes for the fry once they are jarred. If you are seriously considering breeding them then take a good look through the stickies in the breeding section and do a lot of research on the internet.

Can you fill out the form at the top of the disease section so we can make sure the 2 adults are in tip top condition?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote