Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #1 
ohhrats

divided 20gal for 4-5 bettas, what size filter?

Hello! I am currently in the process of making dividers and setting up a 20 gallon to divide into either 4 or 5 sections. I am wondering what size filter I should use, because I don't want it to be too over powering. Maybe I should divide it in 5 and leave the middle one empty so that no one is overpowered?? I'm slightly torn, and new to dividing tanks. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
ohhrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #2 
bahamut285

I don't know about any type of filters (I only have aquarium kits) so I can't help you there.

HOWEVER, I would definitely try to make a 5th skinnier section for the filter in the MIDDLE. I see a lot of people making different sections for the filter, whether at the side or in the middle, but I personally think the middle (if you can do it) would be the best option to maximize cleanliness.

The holes in your divider/mesh/whatever will also diffract the wave-motion coming from the filter, so it won't be directly pushing your fish around :P
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #3 
ohhrats

my thoughts exactly. lol. that's what i was probably planning on doing.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 
ohhrats

in preparation for setting up the 20gal tomorrow for the cycling process! purchased the items for dividers, made the dividers. purchased different sized terra cotta pots that i have to clean up, and hubby is going to knock bigger holes in the bottoms :D bought some extras for my smaller betta tanks as well as my community tank also. yay.

photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohhrats...in/photostream

also setting up all the 1.5's with filters for the few little ones i brought home a few days ago, so they'll all be in filtered tanks , hopefully by the end of tomorrow. yay!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Omgomgomg a rat owner! I have 5 boys, one not doing so well. I did have 12 at my highest number :) I see you have snakes too, I don't even wanna know! LOL

Sounds like you got your hands full! WOW. I have those same pots in my tanks... err or somewhere. Can't wait to see pics when they are all set up!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 
cajunamy
Banned

I have had lots of divided tanks, and with just one filter it has never worked for me. Every tank caught a bad case of velvet from the lack of filtration. I lost 5 bettas to it.

What I started doing was using sponge filters, and had one in each section. I have valve controls for each line, and just one air pump. It's worked beautifully.

I also want to advise you on the DIY dividers, which I have also done. Be very very sure that they are snug to the glass, even if you have to silicone them in place. I just had a very aggressive fish attack through the 1/16th inch gap between the glass and divider, and two boys are just torn to shreds. He also jumped to get to one of the fish, and my water level is 3 inches below the dividers. I have kept probably over 50 bettas and I've never had one so aggressive before.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote