Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #1 
Bettabites94

Exclamation New to betta keeping and needs help diagnosing :(

hi :) as you guys can tell im new but ive stalked this website for about two weeks now. im very concerned about my two new male bettas.
after losing my first betta unexpectedly a week ago i went to find a new one and was stuck choosing between a dragon and a veiltail. i bought the veiltail but the next day when returning an airstone found the other little guy and couldnt resist and bought him too :). currently the two are in a divided 5 gallon tank thats filtered but buffered by a sponge and heated. my concern lies with rosco my little dragon who i brought home the other day. he ate heartily the first night and now is barely eating hes also hiding in his man cave and lying on the bottom coming up for air every once in a while. he is flaring which i take as a good sign. :/. draco is my veiltail who is doing fine swimming all over the tank but has recently been swimming rubbing the bottom and has stress stripes. ive read up on velvet and have shined a flashlight but i dont know really what im looking for. i know they have been recently introduced to a new enviorment and that may be a factor but im really worried bc of my luck with bettas =_= btw both are being medicated for fin rot and came from petsmart. so if you guys can help it would mean the world. than you :)

oh and

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 83-84ish?
Does your tank have a filter? yes buffered
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 bettas are in the one tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze dried blood worms and trying to introduce pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? to new to have but planning either tonight or tomorrow
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:--
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
pH:7.5
Hardness:300
Alkalinity: 180

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? brighter in color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? --too new
When did you start noticing the symptoms? since ive had them
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes mardel fin rot
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no idea
How old is your fish (approximately)? new from petsmart

Last edited by Bettabites94; 07-30-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: adding
Bettabites94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Hello, and welcome to the forum!! Congrats on your new bettas =D It sounds like they are most likely just getting used to their new homes, but they may be stressed out by being able to see eachother so close through the divider. Putting plants along the sides of the divider will help, but if they continue to act this way I would remove one of them to a different tank. Water change wise, in a five gallon with a single betta I would do one 50-75% with gravel cleaning each week, but since there's two bettas in yours I would do one 50% and one 50-75% with gravel cleaning every week. Do they both actually have finrot, or are you just medicating preventatively?? As far as the velvet goes, I wouldn't worry too much unless you're seeing something that looks like fine gold/rust colored dust sprinkled all over your fish (you won't be able to see it unless you shine a flashlight on him, or take a picture of him with flash).
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 
Bettabites94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forum!! Congrats on your new bettas =D It sounds like they are most likely just getting used to their new homes, but they may be stressed out by being able to see eachother so close through the divider. Putting plants along the sides of the divider will help, but if they continue to act this way I would remove one of them to a different tank. Water change wise, in a five gallon with a single betta I would do one 50-75% with gravel cleaning each week, but since there's two bettas in yours I would do one 50% and one 50-75% with gravel cleaning every week. Do they both actually have finrot, or are you just medicating preventatively?? As far as the velvet goes, I wouldn't worry too much unless you're seeing something that looks like fine gold/rust colored dust sprinkled all over your fish (you won't be able to see it unless you shine a flashlight on him, or take a picture of him with flash).
sounds good :) umm i am treating them bc both of their tails are ragged i read that medicating isnt great bc most are too strong so i keep it in low doses ill try to get a picture for you so you can determine for yourself. :) so it is ok for rosco to be hiding all the time? he doesnt move much or eat and its getting me paraniod that hes going to die ;o;. i plan on going to petsmart one of these days before or after i go to work so ill be sure to grab more plants. do you recommend the betta log?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

Fin rot appears as black edging on the fins, so if there's no black edging then its probably just tears, and therefore not requiring any medication except a little aquarium salt and clean water. If it is fin rot, then they will need to be quarantined with meds and have 100% daily water changes. Rosco may be hiding because he's not quite used to his tank environment yet, or he's stressed out by the other betta. More hiding places and plants along the divider will help alot, but if that doesn't work then he may need to be moved to a new tank. But give him some time, I bet he'll adjust just fine =) I've heard great things about the betta log, I'd highly recommend it!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #5 
Bettabites94

and what about him not eating? i think thats the part that has me most scared. its been two days where he hasnt eaten :/
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

It's not uncommon for bettas to refuse food when they're in a new home, so I wouldn't worry just yet. If it goes more than a week then that's when I would worry. Just keep an eye on him, and keep trying to coax him to eat, but remove any uneaten food from his tank =)
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #7 
Bettabites94

okay :) thank you so much! i "stole" one of my plants from my goldfishy tank to help until i can buy some more :p
Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi Bettabites and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have two very handsome boys. I agree with Indyfishy, you may want to stop the Mardel Fin Rot unless you see black, ragged edges. Aquarium salt will help with the fin problems and since they both have them, you don't have to remove the sick one to a hospital tank. First, do a 100% water change. Normally, you don't want to do 100% changes in filtered tanks but since this tank is so new, it won't hurt anything. What you want is the water super clean and free of medicine. Then you can add the aquarium salt. It's 1 tsp per gallon and you'll want to mix it up with some tank water in a separate container and let it dissolve before you pour it in. For the next 10 days, do 50% water changes and add in 1/2 tsp if aquarium salt to replace the salt you took out with the water change. If their fins don't look any better, then it may be time to consider new housing because one or both boys may be stressed and doing some fin biting.

Another thing. When Draco was rubbing on the tank floor was he rubbing any certain part of his body? Does he have any heavy breathing or any very small (like grains of salt) white spots on him?

Hope this helps you, keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #9 
Bettabites94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi Bettabites and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have two very handsome boys. I agree with Indyfishy, you may want to stop the Mardel Fin Rot unless you see black, ragged edges. Aquarium salt will help with the fin problems and since they both have them, you don't have to remove the sick one to a hospital tank. First, do a 100% water change. Normally, you don't want to do 100% changes in filtered tanks but since this tank is so new, it won't hurt anything. What you want is the water super clean and free of medicine. Then you can add the aquarium salt. It's 1 tsp per gallon and you'll want to mix it up with some tank water in a separate container and let it dissolve before you pour it in. For the next 10 days, do 50% water changes and add in 1/2 tsp if aquarium salt to replace the salt you took out with the water change. If their fins don't look any better, then it may be time to consider new housing because one or both boys may be stressed and doing some fin biting.

Another thing. When Draco was rubbing on the tank floor was he rubbing any certain part of his body? Does he have any heavy breathing or any very small (like grains of salt) white spots on him?

Hope this helps you, keep us posted.
hi and thank you for the advice :) i did a 50% change yesterday so should i still a 100% to clear medication? it is an established tank because i had to very messy goldfish in there previously before i moved them into a bigger than :p. As for draco it was his underbelly. hes sort of stopped from yesterday and i havent seen any white spots :/ and i dont think hes breathing heavy but both are sleeping at the moment lol its 2am so ill check in the morning to let you know
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Ah, lucky you to have an established tank. Nothing cycles a tank faster than goldfish. No, don't do a 100%, just do another 50% if you feel up to it.

I'm glad Draco doesn't have white spots/ich, that stuff is a pain to get rid of. It sounds like maybe he just had an itch. If he was breathing heavily his mouth would open and close a lot and his gills would move a lot more than normal. If he's not doing that, then it's a good sign. I'm just checking to make sure he doesn't have ich or gill flukes but it sounds like he doesn't. AQ salt should help with his fins and any other lingering problems he might have from the pet store.

Haha, and yes, don't wake them up. They need their beauty rest.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new bettas, not eating, rubbing, sick