Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #1 
Andrometer

Question New Plant Health?

I just picked up new plants today, at petco and petsmart: three anubius plants and a bunch of anacharis. (And a marimo ball, but I'm not too concerned about it. XD)
Currently, all plants are in qt tanks, petco plants in one and petsmart plants in another. (Marimo in its cup with fresh water.)

I'm a little concerned about one of the anubias plants' rhizome. (It was buried in a little bit of gravel.) It's large and seems pretty sturdy, but it's... well, I took pictures. I have no idea what they're supposed to look like. I assume they're supposed to be greener than this, like the others', so uh... does this plant have a chance? ;-;

Compared to the other one I got at Petsmart, which is tiny in comparison. 8U

And this is the third one from Petco... The root area, at least. Its rhizome seems practically nonexistant, though it seems healthy. ono

And just for good measure, the anacharis. Some of it's browish-yellowish, but some of it is also green. I'm hoping now that it's being allowed to float, it'll start to grow better. 8| Plus, I found some cute buds on them when I was putting the stalks in the tank. I've heard it's hard to kill, so I'm optimistic that it'll pull through. c:

I've never had plants before, so I feel all goofy and confused. 8c
Andrometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

When the anacharis turns a dull brown, snip off the browning part. It looks healthy, but the yellow stuff may die in time :C

The first picture... Uh, wth is that?! Thats no rhizome like Ive ever seen. The others are fine. The brighter the light in the tank, the lighter the anubias will be.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #3 
Andrometer

Ah okay. I already tossed a couple of pieces that looked brown, but I'll have a look at the others when I mess with the water next.

As for the rhizome, uh... XD; I thought it looked weird, but it was in the same conditions as the second one, and even the third anubias was "planted" in a pot (and what I assumed to be... paper towels...), so I was hoping it might just be a weird looking plant. Because I tried to look it up, but could not figure out what a normal one looked like. >n>
I guess I'll keep it separate and keep a close eye on it for now... since the leaves are looking okay... weird plant. ;-;
Old 07-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Maybe it had once been grown partially out of the water. When they are, they get HUGE, and so do their roots and rhizomes >.<

Normal:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7...epic001qu8.jpg
(similar to anubias) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CXWlE4CdPf...s1600/5007.jpg
Old 07-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #5 
Andrometer

Well, it's definitely huge. Looks bigger in the picture, I guess, but it's still big compared to the others. It's sturdy, too... x_X
Should I... try cutting it with a sharp knife? I guess it would have to be pretty much up to the leaves... or should I leave it alone and see what it does?

(And what about the second one? Does that little brown area on the end look okay or should I mess with it? ;-; )
Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

It should be ok, its just damage, nbd. If the plant begins to wither, then something's wrong, but if not, its fine. :)

And I wouldnt mess with it unless it gets gross or something D:

In a few weeks, once they settle in, take a super sharp knife (better yet, razor) and cut small slits into the rhizome, underwater. It will eventually sprout new leaves from there :) Do so underwater, though.

Tags
anacharis, anubias, petco, petsmart, plants