Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

I'm a bad fish mom =(

my poor Marbles got his first problem...I took too long to clean his tank...and he tailbit. He has two chunks taken out of his tail...hes fine otherwise and being closely watched, and it hasn't gotten worse since, but i wanna make sure there isnt anything that might come from that? infections or anything? I know to keep things extra clean til he heals and such =3
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #2 
caitic10

Sometimes when a betta tailbites, it can get finrot. :( Keep him in clean water, but Im not sure if there is anything else. Espon Salts? Wait until someone else posts.

Your not a bad fish mom. Alot of bettas tail bite. :)
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Dang him......wish there was an easy answer to prevent tail biting.....

Prevention of secondary infection now that he has an open wound....as caitic posted...keep the water clean with lots of water changes...if you have been doing regular water changes and provided good nutrition to start-he shouldn't have any problems...I would make a couple of extra water changes until you see new growth and that can take a couple of days to weeks....all depending on his overall health, immune response, age, water quality, stress level....etc......

I would watch the areas close and treat if needed-but I would start with fresh/dechlorinated water from water changes first.......

But to be sure...have some questions......

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives, tank mates, appetite, how old is he and how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #4 
HayrideHaunter

the water changes was the problem >.<...I've been really insanely busy, so he didnt get one for almost a month...when i noticed he bit, i did one immediately...hrm...

2gal
usually 95% (sometimes a little wont drain from the gravel) on an ordinary basis, once a week...as busy as i'll be until normality resumes, probably once every 2 weeks with a close eye kept on everything just in case. with his current health issue, probably 95% once a week and maybe 25% once a week as well
temp hangs around 80
filter...im not sure and cant get at the info, but ill post it up when i can
live plants include a marimo ball and a small anubias, both quite healthy
additives ill post later when i get it, but its a regular betta dechlorinator...(one that was recommended here i think, either way its a good one, promise XD)
no tank mates
i feed him two pellets in the morning, and bloodworms at night. Never had an issue with bloating so i dont fast often...
had since december 18th, 2010, never been sick
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

as a preventative to fin rot, i would try to wc every other day, at least every 2 days or 3x a week.

after he's better, I would do 50% changes twice a week, as 2 gal is on the smaller side. it's ok for him to be in there imo, just need to be careful to keep it clean
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #6 
Silverfang

same thing happened with me. First time he ever bit his tail it took too long with a water change, and he was in a black mug for 30+ minutes. His tail looked like a CT. I was so freaked.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #7 
maggiegator

My betta did a LOT of tail-biting but he's finally starting to heal, so I feel your pain! As mentioned, do lots of water changes. Also, I hear that turning up the heat can help. Turn it up to about 85ish so that it can kill some of the bacteria that might be hanging around. And recently I got my questions about aquarium salt answered, so I can advise that too. xDD Aquarium salt is good for when healing is needed, and I'll just quote Pitluvs here: "You would want to add 1tsp per gallon, and do a 100% water change everyday. What I do is mix a 1g jug with treated water and 1 tsp of salt. I put my fish in a 1g tank and fill it half way, changing the water every day." For up to ten days (the salt has negative effects if used long term, but is good for treating injuries). Though if you have live plants, don't use it.
maggiegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

"Also, I hear that turning up the heat can help. Turn it up to about 85ish so that it can kill some of the bacteria that might be hanging around."

Is that right? I thought bacteria LOVES heat. Hmmm...........
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #9 
fightergirl2710

Quote:
Is that right? I thought bacteria LOVES heat. Hmmm..........
We do get fevers when fighting off infections.. So it makes sense, but then it might apply when the fish is sick and not with tailbiting.. :/
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Most of the bad pathogens thrive in heat...I usually recommend that the temp be on the low side of normal when treating to help prevent a secondary infection/problem....

We have lots of pathogens in the tank at all times....this is normal...the healthy Betta will build antibodies along with a healthy immune response to keep them at bay....once the fish is compromised from an illness or has an open wound-these pathogen can attack...this is a secondary infection....especially Flexibacter columnaris and Aeromnas these are always in the tank normally- but in low numbers and long with a compromised fish with high heat...they will colonize, thrive and attack the fish...that simple case of fin rot, tailbite...... now become full blown infection that could kill the fish.....be careful raising that temp with a compromised fish......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote