Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #11 
Kiiarah

I don't think most goldfish do actually. Moors are notorious for it though apparently. The bigger of the two loves to suck up the rocks and spit them into the empty areas, they sure can wreck an aquascape quick rofl. They do it a bit in this video, it really is darling. xD

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=d21dd86d.mp4

I think it started out as accidental, they sucked up a rock or two and it landed in the empty area, but now it is definitely deliberate. At least they are having fun.
Kiiarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #12 
Sakura8

I was totally laughing like crazy when the black moor spit the rock out. Too funny. Too bad, too, because I like your aquascaping with the rocks outlining a "pond" underwater.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #13 
Kiiarah

Would you believe I have made a habit of reaching in and cleaning it up for them every night before dinner. They have got me so wrapped around their little fin, it's ridiculous. I think it is just because I have wanted them for so long. They were rescue fishies from a five gallon tank (no filter or anything). I was watching them on craigslist for about two months before I finally was able to get a tank for them. Just sooooo happy to have been able to adopt them. ^_^

Last edited by Kiiarah; 08-01-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Those poor things in a 5 gallon? I'm sooooo glad you rescued them. And yes, I can believe you would clean up for them every night because it's very easy for us to get wrapped around a fishy's fin. Very, very easy. I swear, I think fish pass around a little instruction manual that has advice on how to manipulate us fish owners.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #15 
Kiiarah

Yeah, I don't know what the previous family was thinking. It is a wonder they didn't already have dropsy or something else horrible when I finally got them. The worst thing about goldies is they need a minimum of 20 gallons for just one fish, and a 30 gallon tank for two isn't easy to come by. I was lucky enough to find a whole set-up for 50 bucks on the same day. At least bettas don't need quite that much space. Though the huge tank requirements for goldies do keep me in check lol. I am afraid I may wind up with 10 gallon betta tanks all over the house. It doesn't help that our stupid Wal-mart has decided to order about 100 bettas to put on display. I want all of them so much, if only to get them out of that dreadful store. There is no way our small town has that much demand for them. I just hope they realize and order fewer next time. Poor babies, if only I had the money. :(
Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #16 
Sakura8

I hate when Wal-Mart overstock bettas. They don't even have time to clean one or two betta cups but then to have like 100? Ugh, poor betta babies. But wow, a 30 gal setup for only $50? Amazing deal! I spent $40 on just the dang hood for my 10 gallon. :p I wanna know where you're shopping.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #17 
Kiiarah

It was so weird actually. I didn't think we could budget even 50 for a tank. I only responded to the ad to see what sort of set-up could be purchased used for that price. Then I accidentally responded to the guy and asked when we could arrange for pick-up, but I thought it was a different guy who had a free 10 gallon tank. Turns out, the 10 gallon guy never even responded to my inquiry. By the time I realized the tank I was arranging to get was not the free one, I had the email from the woman with the moors saying she wouldn't charge us the re-homing fee and would just give us them for free. So the timing was very coincidental to say the least. I really think we were meant to have them. To top it all off, we found a tiny entertainment cabinet for $5 at a thrift store and got a piece of counter top cut to fit as a topper for free. So the whole thing, stand and all, was about $60. Way more than we were planning on, but still way less than it should have been, especially considering it was all thrown together in about 24 hours. Craigslist is great sometimes, but it does have a way of getting me more fish than I was planning on lol. I now have two 30 gallon goldie tanks and the 10 gallon betta tank all in our living room. Oh well. :)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Wow, I think you're definitely right, you were meant to rescue those goldies. That's amazing. What a great win-win situation: you get some fun new fish and the fish get a great new home.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #19 
Kiiarah

No kidding. :) I am thrilled about it. Oh I noticed your sig lists some corys. Do you keep them with your bettas? I have considered adding a cory to the betta tank but I have read they have to be kept in groups and it is only a 10 gallon, and I am a bit worried about what diseases they may have from the store. Any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #20 
Sakura8

In a 10g with one betta, you could easily keep four bronze/albino cories. They're super peaceful because they stay on the bottom most of the time. Your only problem may be keeping your betta from eating the cory cats' food. I kept my cories in my sorority (totally did NOT work out, all the girls ate the cories' food and bloated up like golfballs) and then I kept them in their own 10g with a single female betta and it worked out fine. Now they're in the 10g with three guppies and will soon be joined by six danios.

If you have any worries about diseases, you can always quarantine your cories. I kept mine in a small tank separate from my other fish for a week to make sure none of them got sick. In my case, the tank was a 2.5g because the cories I got are panda cories and they are very small. Bronze cories are a LOT hardier but they also get bigger, around 3" whereas the pandas get only 1.75".

I love my cories, they're a lot of fun to watch. Just a warning, they do need sand or a rounded gravel substrate.

Tags
betta, clamping, flaring, strange behavior