betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #21 
Sakura8

My lil Panda cories.
Attached Images

Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #22 
Kiiarah

Hmm that could work. I do have the 5 gallon the moors came in, so that could be set up as a quarantine. I could easily put smooth gravel in Claude's tank. Do corys need filters or anything like that? I already have Hikari bottom feeder wafers for the goldies as a veggie supplement. I have to admit, the corys are cute. :)
Kiiarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #23 
Sakura8

Yeah, the 5g would work great as a quarantine tank, way better than my 2.5g. I did use a filter in my quarantine tank and my 10g already had one. I used a Marineland Duetto for the 2.5g but I found the Penn Plax Smallworld filter works great, too. It's just a little internal box filter that runs by air pump. For my 10g, I have an AquaClear 20. Other than that, you shouldn't need more than that.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #24 
Kiiarah

I actually do have a 5-15 gallon filter that would probably work. I just can't make up my mind. I would love to have more fish, but it is always so complicated if one of them gets sick. For instance, part of me wants to have a huge tank with all of the goldies together, but I am sort of happy that they are separated so that if one tank has a disease break out I have two fish to treat instead of four. On the one hand, I would love to add a bottom feeder, but on the other hand I love knowing there are fewer variables. At least there would be a fairly safe way to introduce one though. Maybe if I find myself at the fish store I will have to bring a few home. :P
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #25 
Sakura8

I understand, that's always the downside of a big community tank. That's why I love that almost all of my bettas are in their own tanks. But I have to admit, I do love watching the fish swimming in my community tank.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #26 
Kiiarah

As long as I can ensure that they don't have any illness when I introduce them to the tank it would be worth a shot I think. Ugh, Claude is clamping his tail again. I wish I knew what was up with him today.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #27 
Sakura8

Maybe it really is that hurricane that is upsetting him. There was another poster who had a betta go through several tornado warnings and severe storms; the betta ended up being so stressed he bit his tail off. Hope Claude doesn't do that, though!

Quarantining new fish is time consuming and a little frustrating (nice fish, you want them in their permanent tank NOW!) but well worth it. Friend brought home a new fish, didn't quarantine, got ick for the whole tank. Happens all the time. :/
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #28 
Kiiarah

Oh boy what a nightmare, the ich and the tail biting. He doesn't seem nearly that stressed. That is what is driving me crazy. He seems totally fine except he is pinching his fins at the ends. Other than that, totally normal. I guess I should do what I usually do in situations like this and resort to shrugging it off unless I see any new or worsening symptoms. The moors were the scariest situation with quarantine since they were in such terrible conditions. I hated to throw them into a tank that hadn't been slowly and carefully cycled, but I just couldn't leave them in the 5 gallon. Even worse, the tank was used, filters and all. Thank goodness the guy we got the stuff from seemed to really know what he was doing. He had a giant and beautiful Oscar fish he had recently upgraded from the 30 to a larger tank, so I trust that there is nothing nasty in it. Normally I would buy new filters but we really couldn't afford it. I guess new fish are always stressful lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Yup, new fish sure can be. When I got my cories and guppies, I went through two tense weeks because they kept dying. I was so sad and frustrated because I had a hard time figuring out what went wrong. Turns out two of my guppies were pregnant and both seemed to have died from complications of birthing. As for my cories, I think a few were sick to begin with and two were victims of anaerobic sand (I have since changed all the sand in my tanks).

Has Claude's behavior just started and I can't remember, how long have you had him? What is your pH?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #30 
Kiiarah

I have had Claude for about a week and a half or so now. Not actually sure what our Ph is, I know it is high. He just started this yesterday, so I don't suspect the water. I took ammonia readings earlier today and it was at 0 ppm. Unfortunately nowhere in town sells decent nitrate or nitrite kits, only the test strips. I am hopefully going to be able to get to the next town to pick some up tomorrow, if not I will go to the LFS when they open and have them test it for me, though I am not sure how accurate their kit is. Recently they gave me a reading of like 2.0 ppm ammonia, or something insane like that, on their paper strip. I got home, tested it with my liquid kit and got between 0 and .25 ppm, so I am rather suspicious of the kit they use.

Tags
betta, clamping, flaring, strange behavior