Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #21 
NCPanthersgurl

Mine's right about 80. I hope I see some tonight :) It's been just over 24 hours, so not too bad. I need to get light over there >.< Thankfully I'm going for the bulbs now.

Also, my backup culture arrived; I ordered a microworm culture to have on hand in case I can't get the babies to eat frozen foods. Or egg yolk. You feed as soon as they're free swimming right? I'm also waiting to mess with the water til then. Cause I don't want to hurt the nest. But as soon as they're free swimming I plan to drip in about 6/8 inches more.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #22 
NCPanthersgurl

And thanks all ;)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #23 
BlueEyes

Can't wait to see the babies!
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #24 
Punki

I used infusoria/egg yolk the first week, i dont have any experience with microworms but ive read they should work at freeswimming, just drop some in and see if the fry can handle them :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #25 
NCPanthersgurl

Cool. I've never used any of it before >.< lol. But I have this microworm culture, as well as frozen BBS, frozen BS, frozen daphnia, as well as flakes, freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried shrimp...and naturally egg yolk. I think there's something for all of them >.<

Also, no wigglers just yet.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #26 
Punki

At first only a few would go for anything not living, most wanted wiggling foods so its great ya got the microworms to start them out on. Yolk gave me no problems but only half would try it out, usually after they see one eating something they all give it a try lol
Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #27 
NCPanthersgurl

lol. I'm wondering where the eggs went; yesterday they were clear, today not so much. Am I missing them? Or is it normal to not always be able to see them? :/ Yesterday they were very clearly there, today not so much.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #28 
Punki

Watch him for awhile, oldman piled fresh bubbles onto the eggs so i couldnt find most of them for a bit, try looking from above. Then oldman suddenly moved all the eggs to a whole new area just before they hatched, under a leaf. I couldnt see them at all but i watched him go there alot and realized. Dont give up yet :)
Your guy likes thick bubblenests so maybe they are hidden between the layers xD
I also watched oldmans stomach, hed eat a few bad eggs but nothing to look bloated or anything, if he ate them all hed look full.

Last edited by Punki; 08-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #29 
NCPanthersgurl

Well he's been under there since yesterday so I'm hoping he's just moving them around. I'm assuming if he's been under there that long he's not eating them. My assumption being that if he did he'd be acting normal again and not caring about the nest at all. SO. And I've tried getting my camera into every angle, looking behind, above, the side..I can't see them! But if he's moving them, that would make sense. He was working on something on a side of the nest the eggs weren't even near earlier, so maybe he's moving them. I didn't think they did that without moving the nest. I'm such a newb :P

You do so much reading and yet you can't totally be prepared for the first time. Just like real children :P
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #30 
Punki

lol too true! The first time oldman and electra spawned on a whim he ate all the eggs and acted normal immediately with a fat belly and no nest tending, i think they were infertile. When he moved his eggs he got them far away from where they started, a few had fungused up so he moved the rest so they wouldnt share the same fate. If hes working on his nest and looking up alot they are there i think :)