Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #1 
aleph

New and need advice on the proper set up

I have been reading these forums for the past week or so in preparation of getting my betta. Today I went to the store and got what I think is everything that I need to set up his tank. I bought a 10 gallon Tetra starter set aquarium. With it came:

Whisper PF 10 Filtration System
Medium Bio-Bag Filter
Hood with Fluorescent lamp

I also bought a 50 Watt Elite Submersible heater, some gravel, a shark hidey hole, a thermometer, Mater Test Kit (tests for nitrite, amonia, pH and carbon / hardness using test tubes - not strips).

I still haven't opened any of the stuff that I bought and thought it best to ask you guys if it will work or if I should return anything and get something else. Unfortunately, I live in a small city and couldn't track down the specific things that you guys were mentioning in the starting up thread. Does anyone know if that filter will be too disruptive for the fish?

This week my boyfriend is going to start doing a "fish out shrimp cycle" for me (my birthday present was "set up fish tank") and after a week or so we will probably start moving live plants in with the little guy.

I want my betta fish to be as happy as possible and really hope that all the stuff that I got today is good. The girl working at the store was like. "You don't need all of THIS stuff. Just get a little vase...." which made me really sad and wasn't informative at all.

thanks in advance!
aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 
Sarahlydear

Everything sounds good and if you feel the filter is messing with him too much you can baffle it.
Sadly most people at pet stores are SEVERELY undereducated about bettas. :(
Great job on doing your research and preparing everything BEFORE hand. :D
PS: Don't forget to post pictures and let us see everything!
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #3 
aleph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlydear View Post
Everything sounds good and if you feel the filter is messing with him too much you can baffle it.
Sadly most people at pet stores are SEVERELY undereducated about bettas. :(
Great job on doing your research and preparing everything BEFORE hand. :D
PS: Don't forget to post pictures and let us see everything!
it was pretty depressing to hear her say what she said "why get all that stuff! They don't need ANYTHING!" especially since when you search "betta fish" in google this is the second page that pops up. I have bunnies as well so I am very aware of the undereducated staff and misinformation provided by them :(

I'm going to start the shrimp cycle tonight. I still have to figure out when the cycle is complete though since I couldn't really find that info. I'm going away for a week so hopefully everything will be set by the time I get home. I am very excited to go and get Glitter Cup (I have a name but no fish.)
aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

I hate pet store employees who don't know about the animals they sell. I think part of it is misinformation, and part is that's what they are told. When they can sell a "no-hassle" pet, they get more money. A mom will get her daughter a fish if it costs $15 for everything, but not if it costs $50.

And yeah, your list sounds great! I have that same filter in my 5 gallon. It works great. I do have it baffled though. It's just a filter sponge attached to the output with a rubber band, and cut to fit. Personally, I don't like the biobags or other cartridges. They don't do much cleaning. They don't do anything bad either, it's just easier (and better, in my opinion), to replace it with a filter sponge. It is a good place for good bacteria to grow and it never needs replacing. Unless it starts falling apart. haha

It sounds like you're getting everything set up great! Your future fish will be spoiled and happy. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #5 
fishcurl

Welcome to the forums! You're off to a great start. Your future fish will be lucky to have you :)

I also recommend baffling the filter. Here's a thread with step-by-step baffle instructions. Be sure to read through the posts for alternative methods. I wound up using a filter sponge to baffle mine.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Here's a few other things that would be good to have:

• Gravel vacuum
  • Fish net
  • New bucket(s) reserved for fish tank use only
  • Water conditioner (Seachem Prime and API Stress Coat are the most recommended here)
If you'd like to be proactive, start putting together a treatment kit for just-in-case emergencies. Epsom Salt (unscented and plain, can get at drugstore) and Aquarium Salt (must specify aquarium, NOT the same as table salt) are the two most common treatments. These should only be administered on a case by case basis - they aren't meant as regular additions to your water.

Also, if you'll be getting live plants, check out Pew's most awesomely excellent plant guide here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

Hope that helps, and best of luck! :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote