Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #1 
Jirothebetta

How do you handle it?

Alright, I know breeding betta's is not a peace of cake, its hard and takes a lot of patience, timing, and foreknowledge, the water changes, the live foods, etc. but for me, these things are not the hard part. The hard part is watching two of the most beautiful fish you've ever owned practically do battle right in front of you until they both decide its time to get down to business. Even when everything goes down perfectly at the end at least one of your fish is pretty beat up. Sometimes its the female, sometimes its the male, most times it a little bit of both, and when you are so in love and so proud of your fish it really is hard to watch them get all beat up during the breeding process...how do you handle it?
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I guess I am pretty lucky...neither the male or females gets injured, nipped fins...etc..... when I spawn...but I use a more natural method......you could never tell by looking at my Bettas that they ever spawned and in most of my spawns I leave the female long term......

So I can't be much help in how to handle it...but in well conditioned and healthy Bettas any damage should heal pretty fast.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #3 
Jirothebetta

I envy you, your set up must be awesome! My set up is kinda text book, it includes a heavily planted area that the females zip through but the males have trouble navigating with their big heavy fins and an open area with a few floating plants for the male to make his bubble nest in. It has lots of hiding places for the girls but despite this my girls always end up getting at least a little nipped and ripped. Its never anything major or life threatening, its just a little frustrating when you take such good care of a fish and it ends up in tatters. I know that the fins heal back good as new but it still bugs me to watch my little beauties getting their petite little fins ripped...
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 
Punki

I completely understand this, i actually was preventing mine from breeding because seeing him take a nip out of her fin made me panic and remove her then re-condition all over again. I finally accepted that she will lose some fin and not walk up to the tank and STARE. But secretly, after seeing him beat on her, after they finished breeding the first thing she did was grab onto his tail and he dragged her around trying to detach her from the tip of his tail. She did no damage, but boy she held on and secretly i was like "thats right, payback, you jerky male!" :)) But i removed her asap and now 2 weeks later shes 100% better. I expect nips but i still worry so much that if i even go to the bathroom i might miss a fatal switch attack mode or something D;
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #5 
UglyMuffin777

I've been thinking about the breeding process, and what do you guys do with all of the bettas? Do you give them away? Do you sell them? How many bettas do you get in one spawning?
UglyMuffin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #6 
Punki

I have only and only plan to spawn once, family members want some, a nursing home my mother works at wants to put some in the ppls rooms (proper care of course was told lol) and some stay with me. I limited my spawn intentionally though so i wouldnt have too many.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #7 
UglyMuffin777

Oh.. Cause I wonder once you have like 100 bettas what do you do with them!?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #8 
Punki

Some sell on aquabid, on here, or to a caring local pet store, give to friends/family :)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #9 
UglyMuffin777

I don't plan on breeding, but I've reseached a lot on the subject. I seems very difficult, so great job you guys, and I hope it turns/turned out well :D
Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

When I plan my spawn, I want to use Bettas specifically for breeding only. I will look and treat them as so. Then when everything is said and done, they will be my babies and I'll spoil them rotten LOL I just don't want to get attached and have something happen. Hence why I won't breed my boys I have now :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote