Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 
baronneo

Algea Eater Tankmate Question

Hello everyone,
I'm new here! I've been trying to search for a correct, accurate answer to this question. I'm sure I am repeating a question that has been asked many times, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm very sorry if I am!

We have had Carlos, our red male Betta, for over a year now. He is great! He makes us laugh all the time. We say he is a true member of our family as we often see him lounging at the bottom of his tank, asleep. The first time we saw him do this, we thought he had died! But it's just him being lazy as we say. He is such a funny fish. I dont care what everyone might think, but we believe Carlos has a personality all his own!

He lives in a filtered 5 gallon tank. He has a rock cave that he sleeps inside every single night, with lots of fake plants. He seems to be a very happy camper. He eats great, too.

We always clean his tank, but we often find that his cave in particular grows algae very quickly.

Is there a tankmate that would live with Carlos? We are open to fish, frogs, shrimp, and snails. We just want something small that would help out with the algae growth. Is there anything at all?

Thanks all!
baronneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #2 
BetterBetta

For fishy tank mates, you'd have to have 10 gallons+. But you could have possibly a snail or a ghost shrimp, they would help out(:
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 
baronneo

Does the species of snail matter? Or just any snail I see in the petstore tanks?
baronneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #4 
BetterBetta

Not that I'm aware of, but be careful, as some bettas will try to attack the attena-things of the snails :/
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 
Shaon

In my experience, I find snails generate more waste than they clean up (probably because my snail population went rampant and they pooped everywhere >.>) but it is true that they have more bioload than shrimp.

From what I've read, I would suggest you get 1 or 2 ghost shrimp first (inexpensive) and see Carlos' reaction (try to get big ones so Carlos can't bully them easily) if Carlos is fine living with ghost shrimp then you can try getting amano shrimp (bit more expensive). They are great algae cleaners!

If Carlos does not get along with the shrimp (and they end up in his tiny belly) it would not be surprising because Carlos has been in the tank for a while and probably claimed his territory (it also depends on his temperament). If so, you can try rearranging the tank a bit during a water change and introduce the shrimp. Make sure during acclimation that Carlos has been fed and that the lights are off (to relieve stress and allow shrimp to hide) If I miss anything I'm sure other members will jump in and fill you in :)

Good luck!
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote