Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #1 
Findlay

Shrimp, shrimp, shrimp.

The more I say "shrimp" the more it just seems like a sound... not an actual word. Ever happen to you?

ANNNNYWAY - As a habit, I am getting WAY ahead of myself.

I recently made the switch from fake to live plants! Oh boy!

I am thinking I will probably get some shrimpies to battle any algae.

There are so many helpful threads and stickies on this site - how about a guide for shrimp!? Yah!

Well I have a few questions that I'm not finding the answers to... probably because I'm overthinking them, but still.

1.What are all the possible kinds of shrimp that can live in peace in a one betta 10gal tank?

2.Would a shrimp try to escape? I know that sounds weird... but once upon a time, I had a crab and he was forever escaping into the filter. Jerk.

3.If my betta boy were to eat a shrimp, would it hurt him? Are there any species that might be poisonous or something? I don't know!

That's it for now... I will probably think of five more questions once I settle in for bed.

Thank you in advance for your help and putting up with me!!
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #2 
Echo

well.. i can tell you from experience that ghost shrimp aren't poisonous. and usually if there's plenty of room (10gal is plenty), there should be no problem with shrimpicide. ghosties have a bioload of near zero (meaning their waste is at the zero end of minimal, so you can have quite a few), and they will eat their own shell after molting. speaking of which, make sure they have a few hiding places when they do molt.. they will be vulnerable for a few days afterwards, and your betta may take the opportunity for a nice snack. they don't eat poop but they will love any leftover pellets or flakes that fall to the bottom, and they will feast on most types of algae (not the stringy kind or the black stuff, just the blue/green and brown fuzzy stuff).

Elvis had a few ghosties in his tank for a while.. until one made the mistake of trying to groom him while he was sleeping. i found pieces scattered everywhere the next morning. Simon currently has a Japanese Algae Eater (Amano) in his tank, and so far they're buddies (there were two, but one died day one due to petco being jerks and dropping him on the floor).

basically any kind of freshwater shrimp are ok, so long as they match the temperature requirements of the betta (there are a few that don't, but they're expensive and i can't remember their names). ghosts, cherries, bamboo, amanos, tigers, jades.. i'd say start off with ghost shrimp. they're the cheapest, and if your betta kills 'em off, you're not out a small fortune.

the best way to describe shrimp: they're like roaches. they move fast and jump even faster. when moving them from tank to tank or bag to tank, keep your hand over the net until they're in the water. when they're in the tank, keep it covered. yep, you may find 'em in your filter now and then, depending on what kind of setup you have (i have marineland hex 5's, the setup is on top and well above the waterline, but that didn't stop my bamboo shrimp from swimming upflow and cramming his chubby carapice in there). ghosties are an especially irritating pain in the arse, because unless they're egg-heavy, you can't see 'em when they hit the floor. to be honest, though, i've never seen a ghostie in the filter.. they usually cruise along the bottom in a herd.

that's about all i can think of offhand.. lemme know if i missed anything.
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Hahaha, that post made me laugh so much Echo! I can picture the galloping shrimp now!
I'm planning a sorority in the fall, great plans... hoping cherry shrimp aren't too expensive, and not too tasty.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #4 
Findlay

Thank you Echo, that was super helpful... and pretty dern funny :)

I think I will definitely give ghosties a go 'round.
I just know I'm gonna freak out if I find one in the filter... ick!!!
Crustaceans give me the creeps.
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #5 
Echo

they're way better than snails.. talk about bioload. little critters, biiiiig poopers..
Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #6 
FalacyNine

FYI if you live in a hot area. My amano shrimp didn't even make it to the tank because it the temp in the QT tank changed to quickly as it is not heated/cooled like my main tank.

Also, if you go to a LFS you may see Whisker shrimp, I would stay away from them. Everything I have read says they are pretty aggressive and can get quite large.
FalacyNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #7 
Echo

i've seen posts where those can draw blood from a human. i'd rather step on those than put 'em in a tank with my babies.