Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #1 
casshyr

What kind of water change would you recommend for a 2 gallon tank?

The tank is unfiltered, bottom has river rocks. Water is treated with dechlorinator + aquarium salt + drops of the herbal mix sold at pet store specifically for betta. Temperature is kept constant at 78F with a heater. Only a single male betta lives in it.

Under such condition, what would you recommend for water change?
Would a 100% complete water change every 4 day be enough? I don't want to do too many changes in case it stresses out the fish.
casshyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 
SmokeNLark

That would be good. You can even do a 100% and a 50% once a week. Like 100% on Monday and 50% on Thursday or Friday. But your schedule is good too. :)

Just as an aside- I have never heard of a herbal drop for fish. It sounds to me like a scam. I'm sure it wont hurt, but it is not needed, it's up to you. (Unless its got tannins in it, those are good.) And salt isn't needed on a regular basis either. Some people do, some don't. I don't cause it can form a tolerance of it which is bad if your fish gets a disease where salt is the treatment. Makes it less effective. Either way, up to you. Just throwing it out there. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #3 
casshyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNLark View Post
That would be good. You can even do a 100% and a 50% once a week. Like 100% on Monday and 50% on Thursday or Friday. But your schedule is good too. :)

Just as an aside- I have never heard of a herbal drop for fish. It sounds to me like a scam. I'm sure it wont hurt, but it is not needed, it's up to you. (Unless its got tannins in it, those are good.) And salt isn't needed on a regular basis either. Some people do, some don't. I don't cause it can form a tolerance of it which is bad if your fish gets a disease where salt is the treatment. Makes it less effective. Either way, up to you. Just throwing it out there. :)
How can I get tannins? Do most pet stores sell products that contain that?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

I'm not sure about products. People buy Indian Almond Leaves though. Put them in the tank and they release tannins. They are also not needed though. Are you just getting started with betta keeping?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 
casshyr

Quote:
I'm not sure about products. People buy Indian Almond Leaves though. Put them in the tank and they release tannins. They are also not needed though. Are you just getting started with betta keeping?
Nope, but my previous betta all died in like ~4 months... And I have no idea why... i basically followed the same cleaning procedure as I described above, and I am really quite confused. Nitrate + PH levels were all normal when they died.

I think one mistake I was doing is I've been feeding them dried blood worms, and one post suggests I feed pellets instead cuz they expand less in the stomach so can minimize risk of constipation.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #6 
SmokeNLark

hm, that's weird. You don't have to worry about the leaves, they'll do just fine without them.

And I agree, pellets are a much better option. I give 2 pellets twice a day. Gotta make sure the first few ingredients are protein based though. A lot of them have like wheat as a primary ingredient. My fish do get freeze dried bloodworms for one meal a week though. Variation is good. It's just not an every day food. How many were you giving them in a feeding? Maybe your other ones were overfed?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #7 
casshyr

Quote:
hm, that's weird. You don't have to worry about the leaves, they'll do just fine without them.

And I agree, pellets are a much better option. I give 2 pellets twice a day. Gotta make sure the first few ingredients are protein based though. A lot of them have like wheat as a primary ingredient. My fish do get freeze dried bloodworms for one meal a week though. Variation is good. It's just not an every day food. How many were you giving them in a feeding? Maybe your other ones were overfed?
Yes I think I overfed them. I was following the instruction labeled on the food container, which read "feed as much as your fish can consume in 2 minutes". And I did exactly that...
I read on an internet site that you shouldn't follow the instruction labeled on the bottle, but instead use your common sense (i.e. a betta fish's stomach is only as big as its eye, so don't feed anything bigger than that volume). Would you agree with that?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #8 
SmokeNLark

Yeah, I would definitely agree with that. The 2 minutes rule is terrible. Fish are little piggies with little stomachs. They'll eat enough to pop themselves in 2 minutes. They're stomachs are about as big as their eye. Which is why I only feed them 2 pellets for a feeding. Or if I'm feeding worms, 2 worms (depending on how long they are). It's hard not to feed them more, cause they always look hungry and they eat so fast. lol
Old 07-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #9 
casshyr

Quote:
Yeah, I would definitely agree with that. The 2 minutes rule is terrible. Fish are little piggies with little stomachs. They'll eat enough to pop themselves in 2 minutes. They're stomachs are about as big as their eye. Which is why I only feed them 2 pellets for a feeding. Or if I'm feeding worms, 2 worms (depending on how long they are). It's hard not to feed them more, cause they always look hungry and they eat so fast. lol
Thanks!!

One last question... would you think it is necessary to feed live worms occasionally in order to make sure the betta live long (i.e. like up to 3-5 years). Or could I still achieve that by simply sticking to the pellets?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #10 
SmokeNLark

I don't feed live food. I do feed frozen food though. Live food is a lot more difficult. It's good if you're up for it though. I like frozen a lot though. I feed frozen bloodworms once a week. You just have to make sure they don't thaw then refreeze. I'm also going to add frozen brine shrimp too. A varied diet is best with pellets being the staple food.