Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #1 
ejcapulet

What breed is my betta?

Until recently I thought Renoir, my dark blue betta, was a normal male and the males at the pet stores were juveniles. Then I went to Petco and they had a huge selection of fancy males and I found out that Renoir is not normal. His body is similar in size and his scales look like the bettas they classify as "king" and his fins are arranged the same way, but his fins look like regular betta fins, just larger. I purchased Renoir when I lived in China then brought him back to the US with me, so I can'r really ask the owner of the shop where I bought him. So what breed is he?
ejcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #2 
copperarabian

could you post a photo of him? That would help a lot :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 
Jirothebetta

Couldn't tell you without a picture of it....
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

We need pictures - of your guy plus other actual sized bettas for comparison. Or take a side view picture of him next to a ruler.

Wild guess - you bought him in China, that should be months ago and he should be fully grown now which is about the size of a young King betta.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #5 
ejcapulet

I tried multiple times to take a picture but I can't get even a remotely clear shot (I feel REALLY stupid!) I had him while I was in China for more than 2 years and he never grew there or here, so I'm sure he was an adult when he came to live with me. I did manage to get a measurement on him; his body (sans fins) is a tab over 3 inches. Basically, he just looks like a very big regular betta. If anyone knows how to get a good pic of a fish in an aquarium so I could post one, advice would be helpful.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #6 
Jirothebetta

Try using the flash and holding the camera at an angle so that the flash doesn't glare off of the tank. Wait for the right moment when the fish isn't moving(try taking a pencil and pressing its eraser against the glass to get his attention...normally they will pause to stare at it)

...Oh, and try zooming in on the picture once you've taken it. I've found that some picture's that look blurry at first are actually pretty good once you get a closer look at them. ...I think turning off the room lights also helps a bit as well...
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #7 
ejcapulet

Wow, thanks! I'll try that! Now my problem is he appears to be sick and looks kind of ratty, he's pretty old, so I'll get that pic up if he pulls out of it.