Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 
ashlyn1984

Question Question

I posted earlier about how to divide a 10 gallon tank. Well now I am not so sure.

My question now is if I decided to get 2 of the largest size kritter keeper things would those be any good? Keep in mind as of right now I have two one gallon tanks with filters with a betta in each.

What would I need for them? Is a filter necessary or would I be fine cleaning them out every few days? I clean the one gallons out that have filters every 4-5 days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also do any of you know what places are good to buy fish/betta supplies from besides PetSmart and Petco? Online is fine.

Thanks in advance.
ashlyn1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Why not petsmart and petco? Just wondering. If online, their online stores are good and have more than their actual stores. Amazon.com is great, too.

The largest the critter carriers go is about 5 gallons. These are fine tanks, if thats what you want to do. Is cost an option? 5 gallon kits arent too too expensive, and they come with their own filters and lights. (Around $20-25)

What kind of filters do the 1 gallons have? If they can be moved, use them. If its an air stone/bubbler, its not a filter at all. Just a bubbler that a betta doesnt need.

No, you dont need a filter. If you want to cycle the tank (which, in short, over time makes you need less water changes), you need a filter.

A filter, aside from cycling, enables you to not need 100% water changes. Without it, sometime in the week if under 5 gallons and every other week or so in a 5 gallon, you will need that 100% change.

You will need two heaters, one for each tank, for certain. You'll also probably need about one 5lb bag of gravel for the two tanks to get about a half inch in each. Get some nice, safe silk plants. Amazon.com sells them from petco and theyre fantastic. And of course, water conditinoner and good food.

Btw, in a 1 gallon, I would change the water every 2-3 days.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 
ashlyn1984

I can't find much at Petco and PetSmart here and the lack of help from employees of course doesn't help me much. Cost at the moment is an option however the 5 gallon kits aren't too expensive. I am not quite sure what the filters really are on the 1 gallons I have. I will admit I am ready to just not use the one in my female VT's tank because well she doesn't seem to like the bubbles. She has been popping some of them today at the top of the water. Thank you for the input on water changes. I will for sure do them sooner. I don't have heaters for them as of right now seeing how it is hard to find any in store for 1 gallons. I did check their water temp though and they are both at 77 degrees but do know at some point here soon they will need a heater. I have gravel and stones (I prefer the stones and seem to keep buying them whenever I am out at the pet stores and Walmart). I have 2 bottles of water conditioner and food on hand plus have 3 silk plants on hand. Just lack better tanks, filters and heaters. Hope to change all of that here soon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Why not petsmart and petco? Just wondering. If online, their online stores are good and have more than their actual stores. Amazon.com is great, too.

The largest the critter carriers go is about 5 gallons. These are fine tanks, if thats what you want to do. Is cost an option? 5 gallon kits arent too too expensive, and they come with their own filters and lights. (Around $20-25)

What kind of filters do the 1 gallons have? If they can be moved, use them. If its an air stone/bubbler, its not a filter at all. Just a bubbler that a betta doesnt need.

No, you dont need a filter. If you want to cycle the tank (which, in short, over time makes you need less water changes), you need a filter.

A filter, aside from cycling, enables you to not need 100% water changes. Without it, sometime in the week if under 5 gallons and every other week or so in a 5 gallon, you will need that 100% change.

You will need two heaters, one for each tank, for certain. You'll also probably need about one 5lb bag of gravel for the two tanks to get about a half inch in each. Get some nice, safe silk plants. Amazon.com sells them from petco and theyre fantastic. And of course, water conditinoner and good food.

Btw, in a 1 gallon, I would change the water every 2-3 days.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Great, sounds like things will go well for you. If I may recommend, these kits are really great, and quite inexpensive. I'd imagine if you have a petsmart nearby, you have a walmart? If so, check these guys out! They can be mailed to the store for you, too, if they dont stock them.

Filter, light and tank.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

Its much easier to heat 5 gallon tanks. I cant recommend one for you atm, but Im sure others can. The one thing I never* recommend, though, is the Tetra heater for 2-10 gallons. They dont work.

:)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
kumi

Hi. I order a lot online from Foster and Smith Aquatics, though also from Amazon, sometimes from Petco. Depends on what I want and where I get the best price.

The best heater than I have found for a small tank is the hagen mini elite: it's small and it's adjustable, unlike many for small tanks.

Some people on this forum have reported having problems with the largest size KritterKeeper--it can break under the pressure of the water. I believe that's the extra large. The large is 3 gallons and I haven't seem any problems reported with it.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #6 
ashlyn1984

Thank you. I have looked at the tetra heaters so I am glad you told me that they don't work. I looked at the link. Looks like a nice tank. I have my female VT in a Hawkeye 1 gallon because they actually had it in the store. Doesn't look like the 5 gallon is in stores so if I do go that route which will in the long run be cheaper I would have to order it and have it shipped to store. Thank you for all the great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Great, sounds like things will go well for you. If I may recommend, these kits are really great, and quite inexpensive. I'd imagine if you have a petsmart nearby, you have a walmart? If so, check these guys out! They can be mailed to the store for you, too, if they dont stock them.

Filter, light and tank.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

Its much easier to heat 5 gallon tanks. I cant recommend one for you atm, but Im sure others can. The one thing I never* recommend, though, is the Tetra heater for 2-10 gallons. They dont work.

:)
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

No problem. Site to store is great.

And thanks for the info, Kumi. I wasnt aware, though that certainly makes sense.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #8 
ashlyn1984

Thank you for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumi View Post
Hi. I order a lot online from Foster and Smith Aquatics, though also from Amazon, sometimes from Petco. Depends on what I want and where I get the best price.

The best heater than I have found for a small tank is the hagen mini elite: it's small and it's adjustable, unlike many for small tanks.

Some people on this forum have reported having problems with the largest size KritterKeeper--it can break under the pressure of the water. I believe that's the extra large. The large is 3 gallons and I haven't seem any problems reported with it.

Kumi