Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #1 
mjoy79

Joey :( - more biting

A little history on Joey: I ordered him from Thailand (from BettaAkapes on aquabid) Here he is before he left Thailand:

and he arrived 5 days after shipping began (due to the transshipper's neglegence) so he arrived with a few frayed fins.Here he is the day after I received him:

As you can see the problem is only apparent on the middle of the tail.
Here he a few days ago, with his first bubble nest! I assumed he was doing great!

But here he is this morning:

He seems to be continuing to bite :(. He's lost more finnage all over.

The only thing I did different recently was put him in a larger tank (went from 2.5 to 3 gal) that has LED lights on it - so I could see his pretty colors better. But I'm wondering if the light is too much? Or the stress of moving? that bubblenest he built was after he moved into the new tank so I figured he loved the change! I dont know what to think. Any advice for getting his fins fixed? thanks for your help!
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New life spectrum pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets AM, 3 pellets PM

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat conditioner, aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins getting worse, not better since receiving him
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? couple of days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet, other than what I've done with stress coat and aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill?n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? approx 4 months +
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

He is beautiful......and what a shame...dang, tail biting can be so frustrating......

Since he is new and its most likely due to stress....I would turn off the filter for now and add tannins to the water.....make 50% water only changes twice a week using premix tannin stained water...I would limit the lights to on only when you feed.....after a week-rinse the filter media and dump the water in the filter and restart it and see how he does and start turning the lights on longer each day....if he tolerates the filter and lights...get on a twice weekly 50% water change schedule and start getting the salt out.....if you need to go longer without the filter running I would make a 100% water changes within 2 weeks...

Tannins-IAL (Indian almond leaf) find online or Oak leaf-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-I get mine from my trees in my yard....

Also, I would remove the sea shell you have in the tank....sometimes they can increase pH and harness and adding live plants may help too...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #3 
mjoy79

OFL. Thank you for the advice. I looked for the IAL at local petsmart and petco but had no luck. Looks like I am going online (I assume aquabid has these) :)
I'll follow your advice and I'll also test his water as well. I have live plants available since I took them out of my CT's tank because his water kept clouding up. i thought maybe it was the plants.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #4 
Silverfang

alot of people get IAL from ebay as well
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote