Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #1 
CoverMeInClay

Questions on safe sealants

I searched the web to find out what sealants could be used safely with aquariums. One thing I found a couple times was 100% silicone. So I go out and buy a tube of the stuff and when I get home and read the rest of the info on the tube (why on Earth would I do that before buying it, right? ) it says not to use for aquariums. Blah... Anyways, do any of you know some safe to use sealants? I have a small chip on the outside of the tank, my own fault, and I also wanted to make some gravel bases for a couple fake plants I have that have lost theirs. I know I saw something posted in a thread here somewhere, but can't for the life of me remeber where it was. Any help is appreciated!
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverMeInClay View Post
I searched the web to find out what sealants could be used safely with aquariums. One thing I found a couple times was 100% silicone. So I go out and buy a tube of the stuff and when I get home and read the rest of the info on the tube (why on Earth would I do that before buying it, right? ) it says not to use for aquariums. Blah... Anyways, do any of you know some safe to use sealants? I have a small chip on the outside of the tank, my own fault, and I also wanted to make some gravel bases for a couple fake plants I have that have lost theirs. I know I saw something posted in a thread here somewhere, but can't for the life of me remeber where it was. Any help is appreciated!
Places like petsmart and petco will sell an aquarium sealant..It is a bit more expensive if you buy it there though (atleast it was locally for me)....I use household/aquarium sealant by DAP it was around 5 dollars at home depot.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
SmokeNLark

Don't use any sealant that has any additives. It's safe to use 100% silicone.

Personally, I feel safer using the aquarium sealant in pet stores. I got a tube of silicone from home depot once, I didn't read anything on the tube that said anything about additives. (It might have been there, I just might have missed it), and I used it to make 2 rock caves. It ended up killing 3 bettas before I realized what it was.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

The stuff I used looks like this:
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #5 
CoverMeInClay

Thank you guys! I appreciate the help! ^_^
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote