Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #1 
GunsABlazin

i...i dont know what to do...

A couple months ago i was given a free fish, he was bouncing along at the bottom of a community tank in my LFS. He had no trace of fins, except his pectorals.
I got him home, did a 10 day salt treatment to cure the Rot and start healing the lost fins. Well i did a damn good job.
He has a back problem, im not sure what it is, but he cant swim right, he is more verticle, and sits at the bottom on his tail.
Over the last week, his fins have rapidly grew, i thought it would be a good thing...but now when i flair him, i see he is a Halfmoon.
He is in a 1.5 gallon, with only 5 inches of water so he can reach the surface easily, he has a plant and a hammock that he can lay in to be right at the surface. Laity he had had alot more trouble getting his tail off of the sand, and more and more he gives up on trying to get into his plant or his hammock, and lays in the sand. When i fed him this morning, he managed to wiggle onto his hammock, and waited for me to drop the food just over his head. Usually he would go after the ones i just randomly dropped, but he ignored them for the sake of the ones i put right over him.
He is looking more and more tired, and having a really hard time...
What should i do?
i could lower his water to 3 inches...he is a big boy so he would never really get compleatly out of the sand...
Or should i put him down?

i dont know what to do.
Name:  DSC03914.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  37.3 KB
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella...........it can be a hard decision-especially after all you have done for him-but you have to do what is right by him.....if he is suffering...its time.......quality of life......if its limited.....its time......only you know this since he is sitting in front of you.......sometimes no matter what we do we can't make them better and their suffering needs to be ended as humanly as possible.....

Do you currently have him in Epsom salt tanned water.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #3 
GunsABlazin

Its tanned with IAL, but i havent had him in any salt in about a month.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would try some Epsom salt 2tsp/gal tannin water for a week and see if that helps any....can't hurt...unless he seems to be suffering......with some chronic buoyancy problem Bettas-they need the Epsom salt long term-along with tanned water and high humidity over the water by using plastic veggie wrap over the container....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #5 
mernincrazy8525

i would also lower his water and i completely agree with OFL. poor guy.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #6 
GunsABlazin

I will do that, i lowerd it already. At his next water change i will add ES.
He is still so happy.