Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #11 
Indyfishy

I'm glad he's doing much better, and that he's happy!! But really don't use melafix any more, it has tea tree oil in it and it damages the bettas labrynth organ (lungs). Why they market it for bettas, I have no idea XP But since you put just a little in then I wouldn't worry about taking the tank apart again or anything lol. Epsom really isn't necessary either unless he's bloated, swollen, or constipated but it won't hurt him to have it this once so i wouldn't take the tank apart for that either haha. For his fins, clean water is the best thing, but if you're concerned about them you can pick up some aquarium salt at the pet store. 1 tsp per gallon should do the trick =) His fins really don't look that bad tho, and judging by his dorsal fin it looks like he may even have a little crowntail in him so his fins may always appear a little "frayed". He's really cute, he has such a sweet little face =D Don't hesitate to ask us any more questions!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #12 
lildreamy

Oh ok, I just always assumed it was a healing salt since we grew up soaking wounds in epsom salt to heal them. I sure don't want to give my Blue diarrhea, lol.
Thanks for the info. I'll get some aquarium salt just to add a tiny bit. I think it's pretty cheap and wouldn't hurt to have some just in case.
I had no idea. I've seen several sites actually advertise tea tree oil for fish to help grow their fins back. Even if it does help I don't want him struggling to breath.
I'll just get rid of the melafix then.
Thank you so much for all your help!
lildreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #13 
Indyfishy

Epsom salt helps us alot, but it does some completely different stuff for fishies lol!!! The aquarium salt is very cheap and it comes in a huge carton so it lasts a long time =D Tea trea oil is probably fine for fish that don't have labrynth organs, but bettas are special haha. Melafix, pimafix, and bettafix are all bad for them. I used to use the bettafix until I heard about what it does to them, and i chucked it in the trash right away haha! No problem!!! Good luck with your little fellow, it sounds like he'll be getting great care with you =D
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #14 
cajunamy
Banned

Also, the gill that you see sticking out is his beard, which he uses when he flares to make himself look bigger. That is completely normal. Yes, bettas change colors alot if they have the marbling gene. Also as they age they get darker.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #15 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildreamy View Post
I'll get some aquarium salt just to add a tiny bit. I think it's pretty cheap and wouldn't hurt to have some just in case.
Hi. Be careful with the aquarium salt, too. It's great for specific treatments, but Bettas shouldn't be in salt for more than about ten days. I could have the specific number wrong, but it's not something that you want to add to their water routinely. There are other fish that it is good for, but not bettas.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #16 
Indyfishy

Kumi's right, only a ten day treatment for him! Too much AQ salt can hurt their kidneys. Thanks Kumi, I forgot to add that!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #17 
lildreamy

Thanks guys! There's so much information out there that I'd gotten on other sites that appear to be wrong. I'm SOOO glad I came on this site.
My DH really doesn't like be going to this trouble for a $4 fish. He didn't care when it was just going to be a vase that I changed the water in monthly, lol. Once he found out all I needed to do he said a hamster might be less trouble, lol. Well... I've grown quite fond of Blue and I feel it's a responsibility that I brought upon myself and it's not Blue's fault that I didn't gather the correct information from the beginning. I was on the verge of tears when I thought I was going to accidentally kill another fish due to ignorance. And of course after all the great information it doesn't seem to be that hard to take care of him as long as I do the proper things.
It's so funny.... we've been trying for kids here recently and I told him... How the hell can I take care of a baby when I can't even keep a fish alive? lol. There again... I've learned you can't just go having something because you want it at the time when you have noooo idea what you're doing. I'm gonna do my best to be a good fishy mama.

Thanks again ya'll for all the help! I'll be sure to check here with all my questions before just googling it, lol.

lildreamy is offline   Reply With Quote