Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Saddleback - help !

I know there is something wrong with my male CT. I put him in QT with some rid - ich anti-fungals and daily water changes, but it didn't help much. I posted pics in another post, but here are some more. I was told by my friend on the forum PewPewPew that it was something called saddleback. I have never heard of it before, and I have no idea how to treat it. I have some epsom salt on hand, but no aquarium salt. ;/ Please help me! My fishes name is Liberty. I've had him for 1.2 years. :(
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How is he acting......can you complete the sticky with the needed information for sick fish....

Saddleback columnaris-Flexibacter

If he is otherwise acting okay....is he a marble with normal color changes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bio gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day 2 pellets in the morning, 3 at night

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 100% and 1 %50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes. His back in a large area is completely scaleless, and the area is white and raw looking.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really. Still active, swims, flares, eats like a piggy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I had him in QT for 2 weeks with daily water changes and anti fungal meds, but I had to leave on vacation for one week and couldn't take him. So I put him back in his 3 gallon with a few drops of the meds.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, but I've had him for 1.2 years.

I hope this helps. Thank you so much OFL. Should I put him back in QT with some epsom salt perhaps?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

That does look like columnaris, the poor boy... It is strange that he is acting relatively normally though... From the pic it appears that it is eating away his back and leaving a divot in front of the dorsal. Is the "divot" there in real life or does his skin appear perfectly normal aside from the color change?

If there is a divot then it is Columnaris. QT him and treat with 1tsp/gal aquarium salt, 3 times, 12 hours apart so you end up with a concentration of 3tsp/gal. You can premix the solution in a 1 gal jug to make water changes easier. Do 100% daily water changes.

If it is just a change in color then he is a marble and the color change is normal.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh crap! :'( I am moving him to QT as I speak. I only have a half gallon jar. ;/ I'll add what I have... I don't want to lose him! There is indeed a dip in his scales, and something is eating away at him... ;/ But it's better than it was. Alright. I'll update you guys tomorrow morning.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

He is in QT with a good size pinch of salt and some meds. He is swimming around alot in there though, and acting okay. He just ate his dinner no problem, he still flares... poor baby! I will fight as hard as I can for him, if he keeps trying. I love him, he was the betta that got me into keeping so many, now I have 4... I don't want to lose him... But right now he's got a full tummy and really fresh water with lots of stuff in it that should help him out. I can't do much else right now except pray. Thanks guys! I should have suspected columnaris... ;(
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

100% water change this morning, same amount of salt and meds. No improvement, but he is still eating and swimming a bit...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #8 
DarkMoon17

It will probably take some time to treat him. The fact that he is still behaving ok despite his illness is a very good sign. Premixing the Aquarium Salt in a well washed milk jug or water jug will save you a lot of time and worry. You'll want to increase the dose to 3tsp/gal around dinner time tonight. What medication are you using?

Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Okay, I will premix the salt in a jug tomorrow morning. :) And I will increase the dose later tonight. I was using some anti-fungal, I forget the name right now. But I was doing it mainly to prevent infection. I think I'll stop using it because the clean water should do the trick. ;/ But he's still acting fine. Thank you very much for your help!!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

D: Good luck, hun. Im sorry to have freaked you out, but it looked too similar to my tetras saddle-back instances to go unsaid. Good luck Liberty <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote