Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #1 
CoverMeInClay

tail biting or worse?

I'm thinking it could be tail biting because I may have stressed him out yesterday. I put some new plants (plastic) in his tank, but then later I noticed his tail fin looked ripped. Thinking that it may be the new plants I removed them. I'm sure that wigged him out some, but I want to make sure I'm not under diagnosing him.Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-35%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Start right water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?his tail fin looks raggedy and torn
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? tail looked ripped yesterday, didn't notice it looking ragged until a short while ago when I got home from work
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothing yet, doing his water change in a short while, plan to add a bit more conditioner as it says it helps improve damaged fins and scales
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him a month, so maybe 7 months

Sorry the images aren't all that great. My camera stinks when it comes to motion.
Attached Images

CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #2 
Silverfang

IT could be tail biting, but it could also be torn fins from the new plants, or a filter, etc. Do the ends look almost feathery? Or smooth? The treatment is the same either way. Daily water changes, you can add 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt if you are really worried about infection.

You missed a few of the items on the stickied list, if you could updated us with tank size, temperature, tank mates, feeding schedule, etc, it would really help.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #3 
CoverMeInClay

Yeah, I'm just a dumb dumb and scrolled over those when I was answering

What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? ranges from 80-82 in the past week
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes, but currently off as the water was staying at temp without the heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? bettamin flakes, wardley pellets and recently freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

I just did a 50% water change and siphoned out any evident yuck I could find. I know the first tear was probably from the new plants, but as soon as I noticed that tear I removed said plants. The filter has never bothered him before and he tends to stay away from the intake. The ends do look feathery, and there is no apparent irritation. I'll start doing 100% water changes tomorrow and keep updating on his condition.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #4 
Silverfang

Since you said feathery, I'm gonna have to go with tail biting. Was it the removal of the plants that triggered this? IF so then some nice silk plants to spruce things up, and give him a bit of a distraction might just be what is needed.
Since you do have a 5gal, you might just want to put him in a QT tank for now and do daily water changes in that. I know it's hard doing daily 100% changes in a 5gal
Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #5 
CoverMeInClay

I think it was the plants being put in and removed in the same day. He has other plants in there, I just though it would be nice if he were to have something higher up so he could hide in it. I'll get him into QT asap and do the 100% daily changes. Poor little guy is going to be all confused. Thank you Silverfang!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Just keep an eye on him, my boy spazzed when left in a mug during a water change for too long.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 
CoverMeInClay

I will definately keep an eye on him. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you poisted!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #8 
Shortstuf888

it is the plants for sure! i had the same problem with my betta and he has extremely long and wavy fins. by looking at your pictures it looks like you have the glow in the dark plants, am i right? i had the exact same plants and it tore his fins up. you should never get plants that look spiky; if you use fake plants i suggest plants that look like grass or something similar. as for the tail biting, i have never heard of this i don't think this is the cause of the problem. you should try the pantyhose test. rub your plant across the pantyhose. if it rips then you know it would rip your betta fins. i hope i helped!
Shortstuf888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #9 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstuf888 View Post
it is the plants for sure! i had the same problem with my betta and he has extremely long and wavy fins. by looking at your pictures it looks like you have the glow in the dark plants, am i right? i had the exact same plants and it tore his fins up. you should never get plants that look spiky; if you use fake plants i suggest plants that look like grass or something similar. as for the tail biting, i have never heard of this i don't think this is the cause of the problem. you should try the pantyhose test. rub your plant across the pantyhose. if it rips then you know it would rip your betta fins. i hope i helped!
Tailbiting exists. My fish was shipped from Thailand with perfect fins, when he arrived he had bitten off a little bit of his tail. He has bitten off more now and has only silk and real plants in his tank.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Judging by the picture it looks like he snagged his fin on the plant and ripped it. I've had my fair share of tail biters and that's not what it looks like. He also could have blown his fin from over exertion (too fast swimming due to stress).

If you could get any more pictures it would help.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote