Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #1 
Jpeck

Water change schedule for 3G filtered tank

Thank God that I got to know this forum before my Diggy got really mistreated.
Advised by many of you, I got Diggy a new home, a 3 gallon tank with a filter. It must be a nice upgrade from a .5 gallon jar.
But I think he needs some time to feel comfortable with his new larger home; he stopped making the bubble nest since moved to the new home last Saturday.

Anyways, what do you think is the best schedule for a filtered 3 gallon tank?
Thanks in advance!
Jpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You'll want to look into cycling. Just because it has a filter doesn't really mean much unless you cycle.

Anyways. For an uncycled filtered 3 gallon tank I would advise at least 2 water changes a week, one of which should be 100% to fully remove any fish waste from the gravel and to remove all traces of ammonia.

If you choose to cycle it you'll be looking at one or two 50% water changes a week.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #3 
Jpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
You'll want to look into cycling. Just because it has a filter doesn't really mean much unless you cycle.

Anyways. For an uncycled filtered 3 gallon tank I would advise at least 2 water changes a week, one of which should be 100% to fully remove any fish waste from the gravel and to remove all traces of ammonia.

If you choose to cycle it you'll be looking at one or two 50% water changes a week.
I see. But I also heard that it's not easy to cycle in a small tank like 3G. Is it not true?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #4 
gbose

Jpeck,

It's easier to cycle a tank fishlessly -- that's how I did my picotope 3G tank. BUt it can be done; just needs you to stick with it. Keep those water changes going and monitor your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates regulalry...

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #5 
Jpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
Jpeck,

It's easier to cycle a tank fishlessly -- that's how I did my picotope 3G tank. BUt it can be done; just needs you to stick with it. Keep those water changes going and monitor your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates regulalry...

Good luck!

GB
Thanks a lot. I already put my Diggy in the tank, so I would have to do fish-in cycling. I read some threads here, and if I understood correctly, I should constantly monitor ammonia and nitrites levels, and do partial water changes as needed until the cycle is established. Right?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

This is a really old thread I made but it goes over how *I* do a fish in cycle. I've never had issues doing this method but it's very labor intensive. Other people may do it differently but there always seems to be problems... I've never had a problem establishing a cycle this way. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=34505
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The nitrogen cycle will establish in smaller filtered tanks, however, due to limited surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize the nitrogen cycle is not stable and twice weekly water changes are still needed to maintain water quality and fin health.

In 3gal filtered without live plants-water changes of twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow and oxygen for the nitrifying bacteria.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote