Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #1 
freeflow246

What is wrong with my fishie?

Alright, I know you guys are sick of seeing me post topics about my fish, but I'm just a nervous person and not knowing for sure if he's sick or not is driving me nuts.
At first I thought he had gill disease, but it hasn't been getting any better or worse, and he's as active as ever. However, his water at the pet store was pretty nasty, and I think that it may have given him.... I dunno, something.
I thought that Jalen was a cellophane, and he still might be, but now that I've had him for over a week he's beginning to get some color back. He has whitish pearly scales, and I've noticed one or two black scales and a few black dots on his tail. His right gill won't close all the way, and today I realized that the edge of his anal fin is slightly curled and frayed looking. He also has some minor tears in his tail, but I think that he ripped it either flaring or on a decoration (don't worry, I'm getting him a new log just in case). His fins have some red streaks, but they aren't blotchy, and I've always assumed that they were blood vessels or something.
At this point, I'm wondering if he has gill disease, ammonia burn (most likely), or fin rot. However, I had a betta with fin rot a long time ago, and Jalen doesn't look that way.

Housing
What size is your tank?
1 gallon
What temperature is your tank?
76-78
Does your tank have a filter?
No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day except Sundays

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
50% then 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?
If so, what are the following parameters? Nope, no testing yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Well, he's getting back color, but that's a GOOD thing...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
None
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Ever since I got him over a week ago
Have you started treating your fish?
If so, how? I used Betta Revive in his tank for a week, with no change
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
He's a pet store mutt, so I don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I'd guess a year?

Please help! I want to know if there's anything wrong with my fish, and how to treat it!
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Would it be possible for you to get us a pic? There are a few possibilities based on the symptoms... For now, increase water changes to at least 50% per day. How long have you had him?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #3 
freeflow246

No camera, otherwise I would have tons of pics up.
I've had him for a little over a week. The only reason I'm not out buying a boatload of meds is because he hasn't been getting any worse, and he's not acting sick.
Could it be ammonia burn from his pet store cup? I've heard that the effects are usually permanent, but that the fish acts fine even though he/she looks sick.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

My guy had ammonia poisoning from his pet store tank (they use 0.5 g tank at my store, not cups unless it's shipment day) and he's recovering from his sickness great. He twitches though lol

My guy sat at the bottom of the tank, only going up for air. Then he just sat in one spot for a while. Now he's all over the tank, it's been about 5 days of clean water and aquarium salt. Wait for someone more knowledgable to help though.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #5 
freeflow246

Huh. Then maybe mine doesn't have ammonia poisoning? Cuz he's not acting sick at all, I'm just concerned about his curled fin and popped-out gill.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Curled fins can be due to incorrect pH or poor water conditions and isn't something that can really be fixed or worried over. The gill might be a birth defect or injury. As long as he is behaving ok then I wouldn't worry too much. Just try to keep his water clean since his gill might not be as efficient as normal and he will suffer from ammonia/nitrite poisoning much more quickly than other bettas. Good luck with him!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 
freeflow246

Thank you! I'm quite relieved that he doesn't seem to be acting sick. Hopefully he stays that way!
His tail is looking a little ragged, like he's nipping at it, and I assumed this was from stress, so I put him in my bathroom and draped a towel over his tank. I'll keep him there for a few days and see if his tail looks better or worse. I don't think it's boredom, because I've only had him for a little over a week and I spend a lot of time in my room. I also just bought him a new little 'betta house' because his log broke. The edges of his fins aren't black, so I don't think that it's fin rot either.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

He might be nipping them from the stress of moving into a new home. He should stop once he settles in. It sounds like you've got things under control, good luck! :)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #9 
freeflow246

So I came back from the movies today and checked on Jalen. In the three hours I had been gone, he had frayed his tail more.
As soon as I lifted the towel, he started doing his little happy dance. I stuck my finger in there and wiggled it a bit, as I normally do, and he started attacking it. :P He actually held on and tugged a bit.
So am I right in concluding that his nipping is from boredom? I put some drops of Betta Revive in his tank, just to be safe. I also bought some Melafix, but came on here and saw that it's not safe for bettas. Grrr. Is it okay to use it for a short period? If not, I'll return it tomorrow.
Any tips on what I should do to alleviate my betta's boredom? Leave the radio on? I dropped a plastic bottle cap in there, but he showed no interest.
And what should I use to help speed up his healing time?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

Oh no! Well, at least he's active! It is best never to use Melafix with bettas. It can cause harm even when used for short periods of time. Betta fix is just diluted Melafix and is also not safe to use with bettas despite being marketed for them. Aquarium Salt works better and is safe. To help him heal, make sure his water is extra clean. Try to do 100% water changes every other day at least. You can also use either Kordon's Fish Protector or API Stress Coat to aid tissue repair. You can also feed him high protein foods like live mosquito larva or frozen glassworms/bloodworms to help him repair.

There are a few things you can do to allieviate his boredom.
1) Get him a larger tank (2.5+gal) to give him room to explore
2) Decor/caves
3) LOTS of live plants
4) Get a floating mirror for him to flare at
5) Put him next to another betta
6) Keep him full-give him a well rounded diet with frozen/live foods. Feed him smaller portions twice per day
7) Move his decor/plants around occasionally