Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Findlay

First time using a tank divider...

I am interested in dividing up one of my 10gal tanks... but I'm nervous (big surprise, huh?).

My worries -
The divider will somehow slip loose and either fall or allow for a fish to get through.
One of my males will be able to jump over.
The heater will make the water too warm on one side.
The filter won't be able to service the water on the other side.

Silly, right?
I have been keeping my two boys in seperate tanks... but I think it would be nice to cut down the number of tanks being used.

What brand/kind of divider do you use?
I am thinking of trying to make one (yep, saw the how-to on that)... but might buy one first.
I have read over several divider-info threads, but here I am YET AGAIN, seeking reassurance!

Siiiigh.
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

I feel your pain, but I did something even stupider, I put a rock through the divider. Meaning that if there are any gaps that I didn't notice that they might be able to get through... It is in the tank, sans fish right now (and not actually tested yet).

But it has been set up for about a month, so I can assure you not to worry about the heating and the filter, at least not with the home-made one. Even with a baffle that practically stops time, I don't have any more problems on one side vs the other. It is heated evenly, even though the filter and heater are on opposite sides. If you are super worried, put a thermometer on either side of the tank.

Some of the possible problems you could run into with heating/filtration will have to do with other factors though. Since my tank is planted, the plants could in theory help with the filtration. They could also cover the divider and block any flow. Though if that happened (such as a moss wall divider), I have read that the moss works as a sort of filter. In a non-planted tank as long as you don't have algae problems you should be good with the home-made divider and water flow. Just do your water changes.

So far as the divider slipping, a little bit of silcon (I think that is what you use, but I am so tired the word escapes me) will keep it in place. You don't even have to do the bottom, just a bead on either side at the top will keep it in place up there and at the bottom the rocks should do the trick (unless you are going to have a bare bottom, in which case you should probably silicon the bottom too!).

The jumping thing is probably my biggest worry as well... Hopefully someone who actually is using one will be able to guide you (and me!) on exactly how to handle possible jumpers.

Sorry for writing a book. lol.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I divided my tank about 2 weeks ago using a handmade divider but I didnt make it. I got it off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The gravel helps hold it in place. I tried pushing it with my finger and the divider didn't budge so I am not worried about it collapsing or anything like that.

My tank does not have a lid, so I just keep the water level low enough so they can not jump out of the tank, and therefore the can not jump OVER the divider. I have never seen these two guys jump though. Maybe if a male and female were next to each other they would be more willing to jump??

I also do not have a filter, but there is a heater. One side of the tank is a little warmer then the other side but nothing too drastic. I;m guessing a filter would move the heat around a bit more.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #4 
TonyK

My divided ten gallon has been up and running for about 3 months. I haven't had any problems with the divider, and heat. On the side of the tank with no filtration (or less filtration due to the divider) I have a scum on the surface of the water that I can't get rid of. Its not affecting any water parameters just looks ugly. My plan is to run a real small filter on that side and take care of the problem.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote