Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #11 
Indyfishy

The wierd thing about the blue fish being singled out is that blue is basically the most common color in bettas. It was one of the "original" colors that they came in. You would think that blue bettas would have sort of stronger genetics than other fish with the "new" colors (dragons, pure white bettas, etc). None of it makes any sense at all =/
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Copper, I think Betta Det meant that fur coat syndrome is supposed to coat the fish in that white cloudy stuff. Which we haven't seen in any of the cases. And fortunately, that fish in the pic I posted isn't mine, although I do feel really bad for his owner. He belonged to a poster named Rinzy. Rinzy, if you're out there, I do apologize for using your pic without your permission. I'll PM you now.

Betta Det may have a point that it's a new form of very fast moving fin rot. That's why I really want to get some testing done on the next unfortunate victim. So I'm posting now to ask anyone who has a case that may be fur coat syndrome or matches the symptoms of the bettas here: please, if you can and are willing, submit your betta to a lab or university for testing. It doesn't need to be extensive, a simple skin scraping may suffice. If we can identify the bacteria involved in this disease and compare it to the bacteria involved in fin rot and other similar diseases, we may find an answer.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #13 
Pitluvs

I still have Venom, but that's not something that's widely available in Atlantic Canada :(
Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

I am thinking that since coppers boy had biting issues, fighters fish had pet store issues and I cannot be 100% sure Venom didn't have an issue (He did have a filter on his side he liked to sleep in front of). Maybe this could be some weird disease that effects a small percent of fish with a small tear or infection of the tail? Kinda like a skin eating disease? Just tossing that out there. I wish the other two fishes owners were still on here.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #15 
bettaloverforever16

I hope Sparky doesn't get it, he's looking pretty rough now, and is open to dieseses. He's got shredded fins, and a weak immune system. Even if he's red it still worries me......... I hope we get this solved soon.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Yeah, Rinzy hasn't posted since. I was going to apologize for hijacking his/her photo but that person never came back. :/
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #17 
Pitluvs

Can't blame him/her... I almost left after Venom/Carnage too. I still have nightmares, and the meds I'm on makes dreams more vivid. The boys I have now keep me going.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Yes, I remember how distraught you were after Venom died. I'm glad you didn't leave, though.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #19 
bettaloverforever16

I'm glad you stayed Pitluvs, you cheered me up the first time Sparky got sick (:
Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #20 
Pitluvs

I tear up thinking about it/him... I just don't want something like this to happen to another owner :(
Closed Thread