Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #1 
vette91

Breeding to keep your own fish?

I have a few fish that mean a lot to me and I wanted to keep their gene alive. I have a Halfmoon plakat King who has a dark blue and red butterfly.
I have a Halfmoon who is a butterfly. He has a light blue body and a white stripe at the edge of his fins.
I want to pair them up with one of NIB's black fire spawn fry. And I also want to pair them with a cambodian crowntail. She obviously has a pale body but her fins change colors depending on the light. They go from dark purple to turquoise to blue and some green.
I have a few crappy pictures but I can't find the USB cord for my camera.
But anyways, which should I pair together? I want to spawn them and keep the fry in large growout tank. This is my first time breeding but I am starting to collect all of the supplies.
I'll try to get pictures up but i have to find the cord first :)
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 
Creat

Well I assume that you dont know the background of the two males you like I would start with the HM breeding first if this is your first time. You could pair him with the ct but no telling what mixes youd get I would suggest NIBs female. But if your trying to keep ones like him you might need to go get a lighter HM female. The genes tend to carry more on the moms side and breeding to NIB's dark colors you would get more dark colors and very few carrying the males lighter marble colors.
With the HM PK King I would at the least try to find a female similar to him in size.
What kind of set up are you planning on using?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #3 
trilobite

What particular trait are you looking to pass on?
Do you want them to look excactly like the males?
With hmpk you'd need to find a pk or pk carrier if you want to get pks back in the first generation. Otherwise you would need to cross daughter back to father or do a sibling cross. I crossed a very large pk to a small female with no problems. He was very gentle.
"The genes tend to carry more on the moms side"
I always thought it was 50%...
Although females can change the sex ratio of their eggs depending on how old/attractive they find they male. young male=more male offspring.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #4 
vette91

I guess i'm not looking for any particular trait. I just want "part of them" left. If that makes sense. I hope I'd get some interesting colors.
My king looks very similar to your profile picture. Except the blue is a darker blue.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #5 
Creat

Well if your not looking for any particular trait I suppose any one of them would do :) and I know what you mean I have a particular line that is my personal line but think carefully about your pairs. Why I say this is becuase my first pair was a HM VT mix... and I have been trying to breed out the VT for the past 3 generations... but there has always been that "part" of my first male who was a mustard gas, all the offspring carry this dark purple fringe to their fins
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
cajunamy
Banned

I hear ya - I have one guy I want to breed to have his babies so when it's time for him to pass on (hopefully not for years yet!) I'll have his babies. I attempted to spawn him once already and it was a no go, but I'm trying again.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Punki

No advice on the pairing but nice to see someone else breeding their personal bettas just to "have a piece of them" :) Good luck!
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #8 
vette91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
No advice on the pairing but nice to see someone else breeding their personal bettas just to "have a piece of them" :) Good luck!
I got the idea from you Punki!
I read your log, well part of it, I left for vacation and then there were 30 pages. but I caught up and i'm sorry about the fry :/
I was going to try breeding aquabid bettas, but i'd rather just have my own :)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #9 
Punki

I feel the same, i like it feeling more personal, keeps me motivated with all those water changes and late nights :)) lol Yeah sometimes we end up chatting about the fry in the log XD
Thanks, i hated that the stupid dragonfly nymphs took over but at least i still have 9 healthy big fry to stare at :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Your reasons behind breeding are none of my business but I do want to make sure that since you are only breeding for emotional reasons that you are prepared. What if you have a large number of fish? Can you realistically provide long term housing for each and every fish you spawn?

The only reason I ask is because when mixing fish with no apparent goal it can be extremely hard, if not impossible to rehome them, especially CT mixes whose fins might not look so pretty. Even Beat who had a gorgeous spawn of mustard gas HM fish had a difficult time rehoming them.

My other concern is, it's obvious you care a lot about your fish... what if they are seriously injured or even killed in spawn? Is it still going to be worth it?

Personally I would never spawn the fish that I'm closest to, I've seen first hand males that have died after spawning even though they were in perfect health before.

Just thought I'd provide a slightly differing opinion to the ones above.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote