Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #1 
heatchem

Nippy Platys with my betta

Okay let me start from the beginning. I have had my betta (TARDIS) from almost a year now. He used to be in a 1 gallon tank my sister gave him in. I recently moved him into a bigger 28 gallon tank.

the tank has been cycling with tardis for about 2 weeks and about 2-3 days ago i added 4 platys. At first Tardis was chasing them around, but now he has calmed down. After that they became nippy with him. Today i noticed Tardis' tail is frayed at the end and it is maroon red at the end, Tardis is blue if you haven't figured out based on his name. He seems to be still happy and is swimming around fine. So what should i do?

Should i take him out immediately and put him in the 1 gallon and let him rest for a few days or let him stay and things will get better cause it is stressful to be in a new tank and all. I would eventually like to have the fishes all in one 28 gallon tank. How would i reintroduce the betta into the tank? thank you in advance and let me know if you need more info?
heatchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #2 
CoverMeInClay

You should probably remove him and treat him for his damaged fins. From what I've read, a lot of fish that like being kept in groups, if kept in groups smaller then the suggested 6-8, tend to go after other fish they may be around. I've not read that so much on plattys but it could be a factor. more of them being able to chase each other could keep them away from your Tardis.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #3 
heatchem

thanks... what i know about platys is they can be kept alone but prefer 2 or more which is why i got 4. Anyone else have experience with betta and platy? I mean if it is somethign they go through when they first stay together it might not be best to remove him, but i am a noob at this
heatchem is offline   Reply With Quote