Betta Fish Forum banner

Marlin Has fin rot

455 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Midnight Bettas 
#1 ·
Help! My betta Marlin has fon rot and I don't know what to do. How do you treat ot? What do you need? He is in a 5 gallon hex tank. I put in aquarium salt in a few days ago and Nothing has happend. What should I do?

#4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 0

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets, bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, aquasafe, aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: NA
Nitrite: NA
Nitrate: NA
pH: NA
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has not changed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is a lot more active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put in aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N0
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 months

#5 ·
Can you post a pic and how bad is the rot....

Often, fresh like temp dechlorinated water from frequent water changes are all that is needed if it was caught early or minor....

If pretty involved-Best to QT in a small container and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days

Nutrition is really important to promote healing and regrowth-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals are best along with an increase in proteins....

You also need to find the root cause so you can prevent it.....

In a 5gal filtered tank with an established nitrogen cycle-I would make 50% weekly with substrate vacuum.....
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month....

Since you have a filter-I would get the nitrogen cycle established and then you won't have to make 100% water changes...

You can do too many water changes and upset the balance-a healthy closed system ecosystem has both good and bad bacteria in the tank and this help the fish build antibodies and a healthy immune response

You also have to look at the filter/water movement as a cause-especially with the long heavy fin males...space can be a cause too with some- not all- heavy fin males due to them having to use the un-natural fins to swim...this is a man made fish after all....kinda like the flag in the wind affect and then you have the gravel or substrate-as the Betta drags the fins over an over the gravel-they start to tatter and then a secondary infection can set in due to the opening in the tissue......genetic play a role in this game too......

#7 ·
In that case he needs aggressive treatment.....

Qt him in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain 76F water
Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf and use this water for 100% daily water changes for 10 days...

Feed high protein foods..small frequent meals.....3-4 times a day...live food like mosquito larva are great or frozen foods....

Depending on his age, genetic, how long his fins have been like this and the root cause....it may take 7-10 days to see any new growth and healing....and depending on how deep and/or ray involvement his fins may never look the same or return to their full glory......

#8 ·
In that case he needs aggressive treatment.....

Qt him in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain 76F water
Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf and use this water for 100% daily water changes for 10 days...

Feed high protein foods..small frequent meals.....3-4 times a day...live food like mosquito larva are great or frozen foods....

Depending on his age, genetic, how long his fins have been like this and the root cause....it may take 7-10 days to see any new growth and healing....and depending on how deep and/or ray involvement his fins may never look the same or return to their full glory......
Ok so what are the supplies I need?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.