Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

Bettafix?

Okay, I posted a few days ago and its been established: Puck has fin rot. Before I say anything else, I have received a bottle of Bettafix from a family friend, since at the moment I am unable to get out to buy things.

What is your opinion on it?
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2 
kumi

It is generally considered to be dangerous for bettas because it can damage their labyrinth organ.

There is an sticky about it on www.fishlore.com at this link: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/be...h-melafix.html

If you believe what is cited in the article, it is only dangerous when it is overdosed, but many (most of the ones on this forum?) betta owners do not consider it worth the risk to use as there is usually something else. Do you have kosher salt? If so, check the ingredient list. If there are absolutely NO additives, if the only ingredient is salt, you can use that instead of aquarium salt and it is a very efficient treatment for fin rot. See sticky at the top of this sub-forum for details of the treatment.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Kumi is right, bettafix is pretty harmful to bettas =/ If you don't have kosher salt, how long will it be until you can go out and get aquarium salt??
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
Pucky21811

I've been seeing all the harm it does to them on other blogs, and I see that the main ingredient is the tree oil which I know can hurt their labryinth. A sudden occurrence has me leaving this Saturday until next Saturday for out-of-state. The person who is watching my cat, goldfish, and Puck have been instructed for daily 100% cleanings. I am not able to get medications or even the salts until after next Saturday. Would that be too late? Should bettafix be out of the question? I was just about to put him in his bowl again with bettafix added. Should I clean it all out?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

Hmmmmm that's tough. So you won't be able to get out before you leave and get aquarium salt??? It's super cheap and it comes in a huge carton. And are you 100% sure he has rot??? fin rot looks like black edging on the fins/like the fins are melting.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #6 
Pucky21811

My car is in the shop, my mom's transmission just blew earlier last week. She is picking up her new one tomorrow, maybe I'll ask her to pick something up. I understand its cheap, and I would be willing to spend anything on him because I love him so much. I just wanted to know if Bettafix should be out of the question, which I have gathered it is. Thank you so much!

I'm pretty sure he has fin rot; he has been a small guy since I got him but a few weeks ago he got a terrible hole in his dorsal fin that has become enlarged. Not to mention his tail has been disintegrating too. Pictures below of him a few days ago. Let me know what you think:
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Awww yeah it definitely looks like he has some fin rot going, especially on that dorsal fin. I'd go get aquarium salt if you can, I don't think betta fix will be very effective against fin rot even if it was safe. Use 1 tsp per gallon, and maybe even up it to 2 tsps if it doesn't appear to be helping after a few days. Do the salt treatment for 10 days, 100% water changes everyday. Another thing you can pick up is Stress Coat +, its a special water conditioner that helps promote fin regrowth, and combined with the salt it would help him alot. But the salt is the most important thing.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #8 
Pucky21811

Thanks; Yeah 100% water changes daily, and I will try to get the salts asap. Thank you guys so much!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

No problem!!!! I hope he gets to feeling better =)
Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #10 
Sakura8

A warmer temp, around 82-84 degrees will also help speed up the process. You can also try tannins. Either clean and naturally dried oak leaves crushed up in his tank or you can steep a decaffeinated green tea bag in there for an hour or two. It has to be decaff and no extra flavors or additives. The tannins will help relax him and stimulate his healing process. A high protein diet will also help, so lots of frozen foods if you have them. I hope he gets better, he's too pretty to have fin rot!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote