Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 
Popsicle

Questions about a planned sorority tank

Hey, all, I'm new here and I apologize profusely if this is in the wrong place, but since these questions are kind of all over the place I thought I'd ask them here.

First of all, let me preface this by saying I haven't bought -anything- YET. I'm all about doing 100% of the research I need to do BEFORE I bring anything home--tank, fish, anything. So that's where I'm starting from, but I want to be sure I do this correctly!

I've been keeping single bettas pretty regularly over the course of the past six years. I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I wouldn't call myself a betta beginner at this point, either, and I've always wanted to try a sorority tank. After a recent move to an apartment with more space, I think I finally have the chance to try. :) Note that I DO have space for single tanks if I need to emergency-separate them!

So here are the questions I have before I dig a little deeper into this:

1. I'm thinking about a 15 to 20gal. Would this be enough space for five females, if it's heavily planted, or should I go for something larger (or for three girls instead of five)?

2. I'm leaning towards cories as tankmates. How many cories could safely be housed with five females, provided 20ish gallons is enough space for the five girls?

3. Can anyone direct me to a link where I can read up on the temperature and pH requirements for cories? For some reason I'm having more trouble than I expected finding that info--I'm probably just not searching the right way!

4. I know the tank needs to be heavily planted, but based on lots of tries in the past, I'm horrible with live plants. Will fake plants do the trick, or do I need to have a go again with the live ones? My single bettas have always been happy with their fake plants, but I don't know if having a group tank will change that or not.

Okay. That should be it for now, til I can wrap my head around my plans for this tank a little bit better! Thanks in advance. :)
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #2 
Silverfang

I know you can keep more than 5 females in a 20gal, not sure how many, but I'd be willing to bet you could safely house 10 (maybe more).
Other than that I'm eager to hear responses, I'm in the planning stage of my sorority as well!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #3 
audjree

here is a helpful thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

it says that 20 gallon tanks work very well. you can use either real or fake plants. there should be at least 4 females, and 6 or more is ideal. probably the most is 8?

sorry, i don't know anything about the cories. someone will probably come along and tell you about those. c:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #4 
Popsicle

Thanks to both of you for the link and input! :) Good to know I don't have to worry with real plants, haha.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I'm planning on going heavily planted, so plants for dummies for me!
That and a marimo ball... I don't think you can kill them unless you like stick it in the closet or something, a whole thread on them http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=75837
Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
Thanks to both of you for the link and input! :) Good to know I don't have to worry with real plants, haha.
no problem! haha c:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and so nice to see that you are researching before hand......

Sororities can be a challenge even for the most experienced-especially when starting out with unrelated female....I would look around your area to see if you have a local fish club with someone breeding Bettas and try to get 5-6 related females...this will increase your chances of success 10-fold.....if not-look for really young females or a pet shop that keeps the females in a tank-not the temporary display cups/containers.....

Corydoras-a nice shoal (5-6) of the smallest you can find-they will adapt to your source water chemistry just like the Bettas...so no worries on that....they do best with smooth substrate-use either small diameter smooth gravel or sand for the substrate-they have really sensitive barbel and by nature they root around for food and are subject to injury
Corydoras are also somewhat sensitive to salts and lots of medication

Problems you can have with mixed species like this is feeding-the corydoras need meaty type foods that sink to the bottom of the tank and the piggy Bettas sometime will run the corydoras off and eat all the food and this in turn can cause problems with the Bettas

A good tank would be a 20gal long-you don't have to have live plants but they can really make the little ecosystem look nice and help with water quality-With live plants and especially if you go with sand as the substrate-I would recommend live stem plants to help prevent anaerobic spots that can kill the corydoras or trumpet snail will work too if you didn't want to use live plants...
If you do opt for live plants-you may need to change the light bulb and this doesn't cost much if your hood uses florescent bulbs....you will want a daylight 6500k bulb- you can usually get in any lighting dept for under $10.00

If you don't go with live plants-I would do a fishless cycle and this will give you time to Qt the new fish too....so you may want to invest in a couple of 10gal too for this or even food grade clear plastic tubs will work for QT if you didn't want to invest that much.

If you go the live plant route-I would add the corydora in that tank for Qt with the Bettas in the other tank in QT

In sororities-the way you scape is important-you want items in several different place in the tank that go all the way to the top-this is to break the line of sight to give the less aggressive a way to the top for air, rest and feeding without being seen by the more aggressive females.....

Sororities are great and can be a lot of fun...but be prepared and have a backup plan...they don't always work......

Look forward to pic once you get it all set up.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Great suggestion and info, OFL.

:)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #9 
Popsicle

Oh thank you SO MUCH for all that great information! I went out today and snagged a 20gal long tank and a stand for it, but I still haven't made any other purchase decisions just yet. I'm still waffling about the plants, and about tankmates, but at least I have the tank! ;)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #10 
Silverfang

Oooh, a step ahead of me! I'm eager to hear more too. And compare notes when the time comes. I believe you are supposed to have better luck if you have females from the same spawn. I'm planning on getting my first five from a local breeder... haha, wonder what she'll have available :)
Just a tidbit I thought I'd pass along.