Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #1 
willabean

Is my Perry young, or just small?

Hello all!
This is my first fish and I'm having a blast with him. My friends and dogs think I'm crazy, but Fish Perry ( he was named after the Honorable Judge Perry from Orlando ) is really adorable. He's very plain looking compared to the gorgeous fish I've seen here, but I think that adds to his incredible appeal! The thing is, he is quite small compared to the others I've seen, barely an inch long from tip of cute nose to base of tail. Is he just a small fish or young? He does seem to be gaining weight and growing slightly longer. I've had him about a month.
We had a bit of a rough start, but he seems happy and frisky. He dances around the surface when he sees me ( I know, " it's the food, silly " ), and sometimes he swims these really cute loop-de-loops through the leaves of his favorite plant. Blah, blah, blah....I could go on and on!
Does anyone know how to tell his age?
Thanks!
willabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #2 
flowerslegacy

Hello willabean, Welcome to the forum - For us to really help answer your question, we'd need to see a pic. It sounds like you purchased a very young female, based on your comment that it's small and "plain". I purchased a very young female that was barely an inch long. A typical betta at full growth is approximately 1 1/2" to 2". Depends on the breed. Some are bigger, some are more slender, etc. If you can post a pic, we can tell you exactly what you have. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new friend so much!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #3 
willabean

Thanks, I'll post a pic tomorrow. Now I really want to know if HE is really a SHE! Lol!
willabean is offline   Reply With Quote