Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #11 
mookeeful

He nom'd that food like it was nothing!!! And begged for more... I couldn't leave out my other boys, so I also did it for them and now I think everyone's going to want garlic every day, lol. My other 3 boys can't eat the pellets when they are just plopped in (they have small mouths and it just takes them forever to fight with it) but when I soaked them in the garlic juice it made their eating a TON easier...plus I don't have to try to split the teeny tiny pellets in half so I feel this is a win-win for us all! I am just going to get the girls tank set up to begin cycling (they will be in temp bowls this evening) and then I will for sure get Swifty's tank going on the change.

You are right, so many salts! I am going to have to start keeping a notebook, lol!

Thanks again, you guys rock.
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Haha, if you're going to have to make a habit of soaking food in garlic juice, let me suggest Seachem Garlic Guard. Pure garlic extract, just pour and soak the food. I found it at one of my LFS but you can also order it from Foster and Smith Aquatics. I'm glad Swifty loved the garlic but no good night kisses for him now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #13 
mookeeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Haha, if you're going to have to make a habit of soaking food in garlic juice, let me suggest Seachem Garlic Guard. Pure garlic extract, just pour and soak the food. I found it at one of my LFS but you can also order it from Foster and Smith Aquatics. I'm glad Swifty loved the garlic but no good night kisses for him now.
LOL that's hilarious! I kiss the tanks of each of my boys ... and good to know about the extract! I will be on the hunt! We don't have an LFS here, so I will have to check out here (: Thanks again!!! I am a new betta parent, so I appreciate all the tips!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #14 
Sakura8

You're not alone. I kiss the tanks of my fish too.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #15 
mookeeful

@Sakura: YAY! Then I don't feel so bad, hehe...

To all: Thought I would report that Swifty is doing 100% better, though of course we will continue the treatment for 9 more days. Not to get all gross here, but when my hubby was doing is water change today, he took the biggest fish poop I have ever seen, and my hubby said directly after that he was able to float. I was at work, so he took pics to show me and its freaking crazy (I know, like I said - sounds weird, but its the scientist in him; he's an archaeologist). It had this ball of white stuff with black dots in it, and then a bunch of normal looking color to it too... so maybe that's what was pressing against his swim bladder. He looks far less bloated now, and he already has some darker color returning to his face & under belly. Again, really appreciate all of your help!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #16 
Sakura8

mookeeful, you learn fast that when you have bettas, poop and pooping/not pooping becomes a big part of your life. I'm not kidding, you'll start to obsess about it. If you still have a pic of that poo, post it, I'm curious about the white stuff with black dots. It sounds like parasites, unless you recently fed him brine shrimp.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #17 
mookeeful

Red face

Thanks!!! When I decide to do something, I do kinda go from 0-100 pretty quickly, lol.

Well we did feed him brine shrimp, which is what we thought it was, hehe. I got the shrimp for him to help with his fiber intake, since he had been constipated for SO long the poor fellow. My hubby processes lithic materials for research all of the time, so he happens to have this handy dandy microscope that takes digital pictures & magnifies them. Since we were afraid of parasites, he thought it would be a good idea to take a magnified pic, lol. I was just so surprised at the size because he is just a fish! I guess the poop/non-poop practice will be great for when I have kiddos, ha!

Both pics are magnified 20x & the 2nd pic is on a slide; the microscope actually imprints a scale size too, lol (I know, we are dorks)... Here they are:
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #18 
Sakura8

The best pic of poo I've seen in . . . well, ever. If only everyone could get such clear pics of this kind of thing, myself included. It really does help to diagnose, disgusting as it is. Well, I would say that's some brine shrimp, especially judging by the color. But I'm a bit concerned by the whitish threads off to the bottom left corner of the last picture and the top right hand corner. I'm not sure if that's more brine shrimp or possible parasitic worms. I would suggest you PM DarkMoon17 and ask her to take a quick look at those pics. Being a veterinary student, she's probably used to seeing parasites under a scope and can tell better than I can.

How is he doing otherwise? Still hungry?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #19 
mookeeful

LOL I know right? We can't get a good clear pic of the boys, but give us some poo and its game time, hehehe. Yeah the white concerned me a bit too, but I was pretty sure the black spots were brine shrimp. The stringy parts were how his poo has been for a while - which is what kinda freaked me out. I most definitely will PM her, thanks for the info on that oo! I swear you are like my betta adviser, lol.

He is still spunky as ever; he wiggles around whenever we walk to his tank, he isn't floating on his side nor is he still isolated to the top inch of his tank. He has gained most of his color back..but I am starting to notice a bit more bloating again in his belly region. I still haven't done his water change tonight (I had a horrible migraine earlier) but I am getting around to it shortly. He has been in epsom salt since you guys recommended the 10 day treatment. I haven't seen him poo since this last one, but I work during the day full time so I won't exactly know until I water change him again. Thanks again for all your help!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #20 
Sakura8

You can tell your hubby that is truly a textbook photo of fish poo, worthy of any scientific classroom or lab.

I'm really glad he's active and spunky, it will help him fight off whatever is wrong with him. At this point, I'm leaning towards parasites but I definitely want DarkMoon to verify. The epsom salt will help him keep expelling the parasites until then.

I'm sorry about your migraine, those are NO FUN. I hope you feel better now, though.