Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #21 
DarkMoon17

Oh wow, that is gigantic O.o Your husband has serious photography skillz. The first one looks ok, especially if he was eating brine shrimp... The second one does look strange. I do think those are worms... He does appear to have a parasite belly in the first pic. He was on Jungle medicated pellets for a few days right? It looks like they are working. Continue feeding him the medicated pellets and using Epsom until 4 days after his poop is consistently brown again.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #22 
mookeeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Oh wow, that is gigantic O.o Your husband has serious photography skillz. The first one looks ok, especially if he was eating brine shrimp... The second one does look strange. I do think those are worms... He does appear to have a parasite belly in the first pic. He was on Jungle medicated pellets for a few days right? It looks like they are working. Continue feeding him the medicated pellets and using Epsom until 4 days after his poop is consistently brown again.
Well I tried to feed them to him, but he wouldn't eat them.... at all. He just spit them out. OFL said to just get him on a straight 10 day epsom salt treatment and then if he is still having issues, to try to pick up the parasite food again. He gets better after he poos, but then a while after he starts to get floaty again. He is a TON better, but I can still tell that when he is on the bottom, it does look like there is more effort put into it then there should be. It also seem like he won't go poo unless it is induced (either doing water change as we are adding the epsom salt or if we put a mirror in front of him for a bit to get him flaring). Plus, this morning - his belly is again starting to get white again. Should we get the tablets to put in his water since he just refuses the medicated pellets?

TY so much for your help guys!
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

You may want to change his diet too.....its always good to have several different types/brands of food to offer with some live food added on occasion....the more varied the better and along with some increased exercise will help too...good that you are using the mirror......depending on your schedule....feeding very small amounts and exercising the fish 5-6 times a day can really help..... especially with chronic problems.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #24 
DarkMoon17

Good suggestions OFL, you can exercise him by gently chasing him around the tank with the net for a few minutes or by using the mirror. People whose bettas live 4+ years usually exercise them daily with the net or mirror.

You can soak the pellets in garlic juice to make them taste better and break them up so they are smaller or get API General Cure. You can hold off on that though to see if Epsom, change in diet and exercise clear it up though. How many days of Epsom treatment do you have left?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #25 
mookeeful

We currently have been mixing up their diet between frozen brine shrimp and pellets...is there more I should get? Today is day 5 of the epsom salt treatments, so we are half way there. I did get the Jungle Labs anti-parasite fiz tablets, in case you said that's what we were going to need to do from there on afterwards. Believe it or not, we have a laser pointer that we use with all our boys. They love to chase the dang thing around the tank, its freaking hilarious. I figure that's good for exercise? If not, I can start chasing them around with the net. The others are tolerant of the net, but they really don't like it. Poor Swifty has had so many water changes etc, my hubby said he practically looks like he goes in willingly - and he doesn't seem to hate me for it either, which I totally thought he would by this point! I would swear he knows its helping him feel better though. He is able to go to the bottom of the tank now, but it still looks like it takes way more effort then it should and his back end still looks like it wants to head to the top. I am actually in the process of moving all 5 tanks to the living room (wow is that a chore) so we can see them all way more! Thanks so much guys - you have helped us and Swifty so much!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #26 
Sakura8

You might try some frozen bloodworms as well, they love those. Kinda nasty to feed but if you use tweezers or somthing you get used to it. I would think the laser pointer would be good exercise without stressing them out using the net. As long as they move around rapidly for a few minutes each day, that's good.

Hang in there, Swifty, you're doing great. Soon you'll be back to normal.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #27 
mookeeful

Okie dokie! We will get some frozen blood works too! He is doing so much better today with his tank depths - I am so relieved!!! TY all so very much!!!! It's nice to know that there are such helpful, knowledgeable people still in the world!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Good for you Swifty! We'll get him all healed up in no time.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #29 
mookeeful

Just checking in to let everyone know - Swifty is his normal self! He is having no troubles at any depth, his color is completely normal, & his bloating is gone completely! TY all so much for continuously checking in and offering your advice!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #30 
Pitluvs

Yay! So happy to hear! I have been following, I had nothing else to offer advise wise lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote