Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #1 
kathstew

You won't believe this....a new rescue....

Pics coming VERY soon. Trying to upload them to photobucket as we speak... I'll have to post them later though, because I have a physio appointment in half an hour...

My rescue is....a leopard gecko!
My neighbors came over 2 days ago to compare the differences in house layouts. She saw all the tanks in my room (5 lol) and mentioned she had a "lizard" that her son didn't want anymore. Originally she had gotten it from her sister who hadn't wanted it, and now they didn't want it. They hadn't fed it for a week, and it "wouldn't die". I knew something was up right away.
I didn't know what kind of lizard it was, so I asked if I could go see it. I did. Poor thing! From away I could tell it wasn't happy. I knew instantly it was a leopard gecko (my best friend has 2). The poor thing had dropped its tail.
My neighbor said she had picked it up a week ago to show it to her niece, when its tail dropped and "started wiggling ewwwww" (her words not mine). The end of the tail was STILL in the tank. Second warning.

Went home talked to my mom and was trying to convince her. Neighbor mentioned "oh, you'll want to give it a good cleaning, we haven't cleaned it in about a year".
A year.
A YEAR.
A YEAR!
O_O
Mom instantly said yes. Although she doesn't like reptiles, even she couldn't say no to a suffering animal in a filthy tank.
Brought him over, went and got him some crickets, and began the disgusting task of cleaning. It took over FOUR HOURS. It was nasty. There was soooo much poop, and that decomposing tail. EW. I was shocked. Absolutely shocked. The smell was horrible. It took about four rinses, as well as soaping multiple times before the smell was gone. My sister literally almost threw-up.
Neighbor thought it was cute how I was "putting my heart and soul into the silly creature". -_-"
Once it was all cleaned out we fed the poor starving guy. He seemed quite happy, and just shocked that his tank was so clean. I'm surprised he survived as long as he did.
My respect for those neighbors has pretty much vanished now.

I took him to a reptile specialty store, turns out "he" is a "she". I had begun to suspect it the night we got him, after my friend saw him and said he was much too small to be a boy, unless he was under a year old. The female gender was confirmed. I also had to buy her a stinkload of stuff, which means I'm pretty much broke now ;( ..... it was worth it though. She is so much happier. Can you believe they didn't have a heater for her? She must have been freezing! She didn't have the proper flooring, she didnít have moist moss to shed her skin in, her calcium powder had EXPIRED IN DECEMBER (and was barely used) etc.

I just can't believe how they left her so long. No food for a week, no cleaning for a year, a part of her tail decomposing in one corner of the tank. DISGUSTING.

She is gonna belong to my sister and I, but eventually will be mine. My sister loses interests in pets quickly (except for her betta and platies for some reason lol). She even said herself "we can share it until I get bored of it". LOL, at least she knows! We are thinking of naming her Miracle or Hope, because she's lucky to be alive after her ordeal!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Shame on them! It's really not that hard to give away a pet if you can no longer care for it! Makes me so mad when people do that, but THANK YOU for taking her!! I'm sure she is so much happier!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #3 
fishman12

No words to describe this. Thank you for being the responsible one... "Silly creature" No wonder the guy got tired of her, he probably couldn't stand the smell... And they were frusrtated that "he" hadn't died yet... Good job.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #4 
kathstew

Thanks you guys for the kind words! I agree doggyhog, it IS terrible when people do things like this. I don't get why they wouldn't want her, she's so friendly and sweet!
Fishman, the smell was disgusting, there's no other way to describe it. His laziness disgusts me. They told me they never had time for the gecko, yet when I went to see it, the guy was on the computer playing computer games! She's only about two years too, so I found it shocking they were waiting for her to die, considering they can live so long!

Here's a picture of her, I'll get more in a bit!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

She is so cute! I would love a leopard gecko but the whole tail dropping thing really freaks me out! We have those house geckos sometimes and they look creepy but I love how leopard geckos look. That lady is just sick to keep a poor animal like that! And the waiting for it to die? Really? How painful.. Even if that worked, it would take months! My turtle lived 3 months without eating when she was sick.. She was just wasting away.. The torture.. Grrr! Good on you for saving her! I hope Karma gets that lady.. A year without cleaning is just omg! How could the people tolerate the stink?! Really kudos to you, she's lovely :D!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #6 
laughing

Oh my goodness! She is SOOO adorable! <3

I am surprised she is so easy to handle and has allowed it, many of the reptiles that aren't handled (including rodents, too) do not enjoy it.

Obviously she is a fighter, and was meant to have a better life. I cannot believe how people approach things. She is still a living creature that deserves respect and care!! Just like FISH! If they didn't want her so bad, even local humane societies take them in and send them to specialty rescues... Literally, less than an hour and she would've been out of their hands. That'd be like wanting to kill your dog because you didn't want it anymore.

A YEAR?!?!?!?!?!? So in a WHOLE YEAR no one thought, "Hey, maybe we should clean this out??" I definitely think part of the loosing interest was the smell and the mess. When it gets that bad nobody wants part of it....

GAH! PEOPLE! AHWOAGONGORNKLEMR!!!!!

Have fun with her, I am *demanding* more pictures! With all of the forum member's posts and comments I want to get one soo bad, but right now I am trying to get my Rottweiler pup and sugar gliders, my plate is full! Maybe in another year or two I will... I really wanted a Bearded Dragon and decided against it because I thought I would eventually get creeped out by the feeling of them and it wouldn't be fair.

Once more, she's freakin' adorable!! Thank you for saving her life!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #7 
fishman12

My neighbors have a rare argentine lizard... More pics!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

Yes! Moar!!! Lol :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #9 
kathstew

Thanks fightergirl, I think she's pretty adorable as well ;)! The thing is with tail dropping, is it isn't supposed to happen! LOL. As long as you take care of your leo, they shouldn't be frightened enough to drop it. But obviously, the previous owners weren't so nice to her poor thing! My neighbor really must have something wrong with her, for keeping her in such terrible conditions. Disgusts me. She thought it was hilarious that she was waiting for it to die. It just sickened me. I've lost all the respect I had for them. I don't know how they tolerated the stink. But they have a dog that they almost never let outside so, who knows, maybe their used to nasty smells? :/ I'm also worried about their poor dog now, who knows how they take care of him!

Thank you laughing! I adore her, she's just a little snuggle muffin, loves to be held. She sits on my shoulder as I walk around the house, its adorable! I know, all animals that haven't been handled regularly become a bit antsy, but she isn't like that at all. The neighbor warned me she bites, she hasn't tried at all. My girl obviously didn't like the neighbor and I don't blame her! She defintily is a fighter, which is why we are most likely going to be calling her something like Miracle, Hope or such. Plenty of people would love to have a leopard gecko, I'm sure SOMEONE would have taken it but NO, they had to starve her.
When she told me they hadn't cleaned it in a year, I didn't believe her...until I smelled the tank. OHMYGOD. Disgusting! It ticked me off because neighbors son was on his computer playing games. Its like, "HE HAD TIME RIGHT NOW! HE COULD BE CLEANING RIGHT NOW!" If I can find time to clean 5 tanks everyweek, he should be able to find time to clean a reptile tank at least two or three times a year, or hey, on a NORMAL SCHEDULE! JEEZUS.

I had given up getting a reptile years ago, and had settled for my dogs and fish, but my mom couldn't say no to this sweetie. And my mom is starting to warm up to her, and even (OH MY GOD) HOLDING HER! :D I definitely think you should get one when you can, she's a little angel. My friend's geckos are also very sweet, so I think they are a great species to have as a pet.
D'aww! A rottweiler pup! I love them, although I can't spell their name for the life of me, LOL (I copied your spelling)! They are adorable. My neighbors (different ones) had one, and she was in love with my boxer/lab mix, it was the cutest thing ever. They are such nice dogs, so beautiful! Post pictures of it when you get it! :D Sugar gliders are so cool! I'd want one, but I think they are illegal in Canada, or at least Ontario, which sucks. I'd like a bearded dragon one day, but my mom would kill me if I got MORE pets lol. I think reptiles feel cool. :3 LOL. They aren't slimy or anything, just smooth.
I will definitely have more pics, I'll post some in a minute. And I WILL have fun with her, she's too cute not to!

I still can't believe I got her, it was so fast you know? It hasn't sunk in really, I just feel excited about it still! :P
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
TheBlueBettaFish

Gosh...what kind of people do that?? And from what you said they said "I haven't cleaned it in a year" it sounds like they said that briefly. Like saying "You might wanna buy him a toy" or something.
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote