Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #1 
Findlay

Where do you get your tanks?

I thought this would be an interesting thread to start... sorry if there already has been one like it?

So - whether you buy new from pet stores, used at yard sales or on craigslist... there is always... ALWAYS... a need for more aquarium tanks as your betta family grows.

All the betta junkies out there, say it with me... tttaaaannnkkkssss

Where do you get yours?
Any cool stories?
How many do you have?
Good bargains?
Tank hunting tips?
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Where do you get yours? Betta tanks are new, except the 1g that was given to me with my 10g. The rest are from online friends or Kijiji (like Craiglist) finds.
Any cool stories? Not really. I get my tropical tanks mainly from people on my tropical forum so ya, blah.
How many do you have? I have 10 - 29g, two 10g, 5g, three 1.5g, 1g, 0.5g, 45g
Good bargains? I got my 10g's for $15 each, but I payed $50 for my 5g O_o The 1g was free. The 29g was average. So whatever I got at a good price, evens out the times I got had lol
Tank hunting tips? Ask for measurements!! I was told my 29g was a 33g, and my 45g was a 55g. I don't look at sizes when I buy second hand, I now ask for the WXLXH lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

Where do you get yours? They just magically appear in my garage. My guess? House Elf.
Any cool stories? Something typically died before they (the tank) ended up in the garage. We have a really old style hex tank that someone gave us when their goldfish died. Not sure even how many gallons it is, but I am just itching to set it up some day!
How many do you have? Right now... Probably 5 or 6. The smallest is 2 gallons* and the largest is 80 gallons. (*There are some 1 gal betta bowls)
Btw, I am talking about tanks not currently set up. We currently have 2- 2gals, a 5.5 gal, 55 gal, and 240 gal in working condition with fish and/or plants.
Good bargains? They were all free to me! The 80 was less than $200 with stand and lights. Others are so old I have no clue what was paid for them. Many of them were given to us after someone had something that died, others came with animals in them that someone didn't want any more.
Tank hunting tips? Watch out for spiders. There are a few widows here and there. They really would rather not bite you, so just don't put your finger in their web!

(Obviously this won't help anyone since I just find my tanks, but I figured I would post for the laughs anyways!)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #4 
Bettawolf19

Where did you get yours? the 1 gal I got from walmart. 1 of my ten gals came from Petsmart, another from a friend for my haster and the lastest one from Terry's Aqualand. the 3 gal kritter keeper from the same place and my other 3 gal from goodwill and last my 5 gal hex I got friend my friend :)

Good Stories? Not really lol

How Many do you have? 9? I think?

Good Bargains? 3 gal kritter keepers. One for $10 bucks the other for $4 :P and a 10 gal with hood light and filter for $22

Tank Hunting tips? Look at your nearby Goodwills. I have 3 within 30 minutes of me and only one that I practically stalk for their tanks. Also might not be a good tank hunting per say bt when you get a betta fish keep their cups :) they make amazing QT tanks :)
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #5 
Tisia

craigslist I got 2 5 gallon marinelands with filters (1 had the original filter) and 1 heater for $25. also from CL a 10 gallon with light, heater, and filter for $15. bought a 10 gallon deluxe kit which included the heater on sale at petsmart for like $40 (also had a 10% off coupon). just got 3 10 gallons with 1 filter and lid from a friend for free. she thought she only had 2, apparently they multiplied while sitting in her garage, lol. $40 for a 29 gallon with a bunch of random stuff from a garage sale. also have a 2 gallon drum bowl that my parents had sitting around forever, and bought a 5 gallon with light and filter from wal mart for $28. oh, and my parents have a 26 gallon I may steal at some point as well, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

double posted, my bad.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-03-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Petco mostly, except the 10 gallon. John found it for me in the "free stuff" section at the dump

1 - 5 gallon marineland hex $65 PETCO
1- 10 gallon tank FREE
4 - 3 gallon kritter keepers $12 each PETCO
1 - 1 gallon $11 walmart
2 - 1.5 gallon sterlite storage containers - walmart $5
2 - 4ish gallon "veggie crispers" that i took out of my fridge. Free

all the ones i see on craigslist are for 55 gallon or more tanks. I would love that but my apt is only 300 square feet
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

I have gathered mine from different places..walmarts 5 gallon...petco had a 40% off kit sale so I got one of my 10 gallon kits there...The other 10 gallon from the goodwill...I also have another 10 gallon that I pieced together..I found the light at the goodwill and got the tank at petco and the filter I had already.. my 29 gallon I got for 20 dollars on craigslist.I check out craigslist all the time...Sometimes people are crazy on there though...asking more than the tank is brand new....But sometimes there are really good deals on there...And some of the tank setups come with freestuff.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #9 
Findlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettawolf19 View Post
Tank Hunting tips? Look at your nearby Goodwills. I have 3 within 30 minutes of me and only one that I practically stalk for their tanks. Also might not be a good tank hunting per say bt when you get a betta fish keep their cups :) they make amazing QT tanks :)
What a good idea! I will definitely be hitting up the local thrift stores!!

I am planning on getting a full 10gal setup from a lady on CL for... 25$! Woop!

Lovin life right now
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote