Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? A mix of pellets and blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? a weekly 10 percent, and a 25 percent every 2 weeks.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Regular aquarium conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? All fins are clamped tight.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? My aquarium thermometer was broken, so I messed around with heater settings. Seemed to help a little.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope, he's been here four days
How old is your fish (approximately)? I just got him four days ago. He is full grown, but still young.

OKAY!

I just got a new veil about four days ago, and named him Mocha. In the store his fins were very open, and he was extremely energetic. When I got home, I transferred him to the five gallon, which had been cycled three weeks. After floating him for an hour, I set him free, and he spent hours exploring, and showed much interest in everything around him. Day two it was the same. Day three he became lethargic, and I got a little worried, but he was still swimming around. Today he was on the bottom of the tank, unmoving for anything, and when he does return to the surface for air, his fins are all clamped tight. I checked the thermometer in the tank and it showed 81, so I unplugged it for about an hour to lower the temperature a bit, as it had been a hot day and he was in direct sunlight. Once I checked the thermometer again, it still said 81. I put my hand in the water to do a test between his and another tank, and his was quite cold, so I adjusted the heater and plugged it in. He seems a tough more active, however I'm not too sure if a simple temperature issue could cause problems four days in, as I never once changed the heater after adding her. If someone could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it... I am very worried!
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Can you check your ammonia?? This is what happens with my guys when ammonia is too high.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #3 
Lordsameth

I tested on the two week mark of the cycle and it was 0, however my cat wrecked the ammonia bottle, so I need to get a new set. I did a 50% change before adding the fish though, if it helps.

*Edit* Should I bring up the temperature to 86 to treat velvet? I'm worried that with the heat wave he'll over heat.... I can't tell shining a light on him, as he is purple, lol.

*editedit* He's struggling to swim, all of his fins are closed right up. It's like he's trying to propel himself with twin pieces of string...

Last edited by Lordsameth; 08-03-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

Your ammonia could be high, without a test you'll never know :( I personally would do a water change and see if that helps him. Other than that, I would put him in a 1g with 1/2 tsp of AQ salt, tomorrow do a 100% water change and add 1 tsp of AQ salt.

Why would you need to treat for Velvet? Sometimes it takes more than 3 weeks to cycle a tank. Zero ammonia doesn't mean it's cycled. Zero ammonia, zero NitrItes and NitrAtes under 20 would mean it's cycled.

Sorry I'm not much help, my experience is limited. But no one else is posting here, so I just wanted you to know at least I care about your boy. I'm sorry I can't do much else :(
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #5 
Lordsameth

I did a 25% change a little while back, and just now since he is out of hiding, attacked him with a flashlight. It's too hard to tell because of his coloration and because I am unfamiliar with him, but I'm going to assume the goldish tinge under his fins and gills is velvet, but I am inexperienced at stuff like this, as I have only treated fin rot and swim bladder problems... My camera isn't good enough to get the colors. It looks like a gold powder on his underside, but his fins also look to be powdered purple and blue, which are his natural colors.

I wish new Betta didn't get sick like this...

Last edited by Lordsameth; 08-03-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

2/3 of my guys were sick when I took them in :( It sucks. I hear velvet is horrible. Could you google pictures? You would know best since you can see him.

A 5g tank that might not be cycled yet would need 25% water change at least twice a week. If you change anything more than that, you're killing off good bacteria. Since the walls dry, the bacteria dies off. Anything that dries, kills. Every time you do a 75% change, you're doing another minicycle.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #7 
Lordsameth

Sorry, typo, it was only a 25% change I did, as scheduled. XD If I were to do a 75%, I might as well go all the way, clean it completely and house Mocha in a bowl.

Oh, found a pic. Yup, Mocha looks like he had has early stages of velvet. Up goes the temperature, and in goes the salt. If anyone has anything else to add, please do so in case I missed something!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

I just want to say good luck with it! I've battled ich in a 29g and a 10g... my Carnage didn't make it :( I really hope you got this early enough!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #9 
Lordsameth

This little fish had spunk, that is why I got him. If he is worse tomorrow I'll move him to a smaller bowl that I can do more water changes in until I can test ammonia.

He seems to be a fighter, he'll make it. He has to open his fins..I haven't even taken pictures of him yet!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Aside from the velvet, Mocha may be a little stressed from the dramatic temperature changes. If you can, it's best to move his tank to somewhere out of direct sunlight. It sounds like he got quite warm and then when the sun went away, quite cold. That could easily shock a betta.

Has Mocha been rubbing up against anything or flashing like he's trying to dislodge parasites? Do his gills move heavily, like they are working extra hard?

For velvet, you will want to keep the temp high and the tank dark. Velvet is light-sensitive and the light will make it multiply faster. QT him immediately. Better yet, have two QT bowls ready, this will make it easier. When he's ready for his daily water change, simply transfer him to the new clean water with aquarium salt, then completely rinse out the old bowl to get rid of any parasites that fell off. By repeating this, you can just transfer him from bowl to bowl, eliminating the odds of any parasites remaining to reattach. Now, from what I'm reading in my fish disease books, getting rid of velvet can take a while so be prepared for a long battle.

You can also use commercial medications but offhand, I can only think of ParaGuard.

I hope this helps and I hope Mocha gets better quickly. Fortunately, it sounds like he is in only the early stages so I think you have a very good chance of beating it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote