Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #21 
Sakura8

And you don't remember him having those glittery spots before? Because I'm beginning to think the gold is natural coloring. Velvet doesn't glitter. Two of my light-colored males both have goldish coloring on their heads that could easily be mistaken for velvet but isn't. I'm thinking the clamped fins are from the temp changes. You might be in luck, he might not have velvet after all, Lordsameth.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #22 
Lordsameth

*feels soooo relieved*

I'm glad I got good pictures then. The temperature has been stable for the past hour, and his fins are beginning to open up again. I really hope he is all well for the morning, and is just tired from his adventures over the passed couple days.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #23 
Sakura8

Yes, I really hope that is it too. *phew* Velvet usually has heavy breathing and it often starts on the back and sides. A bit of quiet, some rest, and I'm thinking Mocha will be okay. Definitely update us in the morning on how he's doing.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #24 
Lordsameth

Absolutely! *off to bed*
Old 08-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #25 
Lordsameth

Well, a good morning to all (likely afternoon and evening in the rest of the world)

I got up today and poor Mocha is looking much worse. His fins are still clamped tight, and he seems unable to keep himself up. I've moved him to a fish bowl placed inside the heated tank, and I'll keep an eye on any improvement over the day.... I'm very worried now...
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #26 
Tikibirds

You said you only had him 4 days, yes?
I'm thinking maybe he is still adjusting to his new home. Whenever I get fish from petco, their ammonia levels are always through the roof and it takes them a few days to recover, especially if they had ammonia poisining.

Quote:
he seems unable to keep himself up
like unable to swim to the surface? Or having bouyancy issues?

whenever I had a betta that was lethargic with clamped fins, something in the water chemisty was off. Ammonia was too high, or something. I use stress coat as a water conditioner and that seems to work well.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #27 
Lordsameth

I am using both a water conditioner and stress coat. I've got him is QT and he's all busy exploring and such. His problem isn't that he can't swim, it's that when he swims up he kind of sinks tail down, likes he's too tired to swim to the bottom. If his fins open later in the day I know it is time to take apart the actual tank for a good scrubbing... I have a feeling there is something in the water that leaving for several days won't fix...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Epsom salts. You can get them at any drugstore, make sure it's plain epsom salt with no scents or colors or additives. Treatment is 1 tsp per gallon, pre dissolve in tank water before adding to his QT. It helps to mix up a 1 gallon batch. If he shows no improvement after 5 days, up the dosage to 2 tsp per gallon. :( Poor Mocha.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #29 
Lordsameth

I checked him when I got home today, no change....wait he swam up for air! *sigh* I've been so stressed over this little guy...
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #30 
Sakura8

Yeah, they're really good at giving gray hairs. I hope the epsom salts help him. Get better soon, Mocha!