Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #21 
bettaloverforever16

I was taking proper care of it ): I wasn't planning on it either. So will everything stop repeating the same thing. One time getting told off is enough.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #22 
TheCrysCat

I'm sure you were taking care of it. You fed her and changed her water, right? I think you said somewhere you did. Good on you for that. And thank you for making the hard decision of not getting another fish. If you want advice, I'd say to work on getting a heater for your guy that you have before winter sets in. Read around, educate yourself, and take pride in knowing that you're learning more every day. I've have bettas for a while, and I'm still learning new things about them. This is a great hobby.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #23 
bettaloverforever16

Our house gets hot in the winter, I don;t think heaters would do any good. But I plan on gettig them anyway. When we stop at the petstore next time I plan on getting a kirtter keeper for a tank.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #24 
Indyfishy

I very much agree with Cryscat, you did do a good job of taking care of her while you had her, and that's awesome!!! I hate that those tanks are marketed for bettas when they just don't work for them, its not fair to consumers or the fish =/ You've made a very good decision in choosing not to get another fish, its very responsible of you and we're all proud of you for doing it =) Sparky sounds like he would looove being the center of attention anyways, and atleast you get to have him!!!

*edit*
just saw your second posts, and kritter keepers are AWESOME! some of them are huge, and they're super cheap =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #25 
TheCrysCat

That's awesome ! :D I've never used them, but I hear that they're pretty good. Also, if you want something that looks a bit "fancier," they have these 2.5 gallon tanks for about $13.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #26 
bettaloverforever16

*Huggles Sparky* Next plan of action. Getting some AQ salt for his fins. *Bangs head on desk* If I lose him in the next few days, that makes three bettas in 1 week. He's getting old, and I think the rips in his fins are doing it's toll on his immune system.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #27 
Indyfishy

AQ salt is very inexpensive, and it comes in a gigantic carton so you won't have to buy more for a very long time =) Use about 1 tsp per gallon. Is it just fin tears or actual fin rot?? Fin rot looks like the edges of the fins are turning black/disintegrating. If its just tears, clean water and a little aquarium salt will keep him from developing fin rot. Also, bettas fins tend to become more brittle as they age so don't be surprised if they get a little raggedy looking. But if they're coming off in huge chunks or something, then be worried lol
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #28 
bettaloverforever16

Just tears, they keep getting worse. I'm gonig to start doing daily water changes if I can manage to lift the tank XD
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #29 
TheCrysCat

How big is it? I have a hard time lifting my 2.5-gals.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #30 
Indyfishy

How big is his tank?? If its more than a gallon then they won't be necessary, they might just stress him out. If you want to, when the water gets a bit icky between 100% water changes, you can do a 50% water change. Use an empty milk jug (well rinsed first of course) and fill it with water, and add water conditioner. Let it sit so that it will be about the same temp as the other water before you pour it in. Remove half of the water in the tank and just add the clean water. Its alot easier than doing 100% all the time, and it doesnt stress the fish as much =) Of course, 100% changes are still necessary to get the gravel clean but the 50% just makes it easier on us and cleaner for them!