Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #1 
drewdigg

Not Sure What I did Wrong

I woke up this morning to find my fish dead after only 4 days.

This is my first fish. I have a 10 gallon tank, with a filter, heater (although I don't think it's gotten cool enough to turn on yet), some plants, and a small cave.

When I first put him in the tank he was swimming around a lot checking everything out. That night and most of the next day he was very lethargic, mostly sitting on the bottom of the tank and not eating. The next morning he was up and about and ate the 2 pellets I feed him. When I got home that night he was sitting again on the bottom of the tank, but he did start to move around latter and he ate the pellet I feed him. And the next morning he seemed good too and ate.

Last night he was sitting again and didn't eat the pellets I feed him. I checked the ammonia and it measured 0.25 ppm. I decided to do a 10% water change. So I filled up a bucket with 1 gallon of water and tried to estimate the correct amount of conditioner since the instructions only give you the correct amount for 10 gallons of water. The instruction say to add 1 tablespoon to 10 gallons, so I would need to add 0.1 tablespoons to 1 gallon. I added about 2/3 of a 1/2 teaspoon or about 0.1111 tablespoons. The water I added was 80 degrees, a little cooler than the water in the tank which was about 84 degrees. But I was trying to cool the tank down since I was worried it was a little high. After the water change he seemed much more active. But then I noticed he was dead when I woke up in the morning.

It gets hot in my apartment during the day with the a/c on and the tank would probably spike to about 84-85 degrees. At night with the a/c on it would cool down to about 82 and then the next morning it would be about 79-80.

What do you think went wrong? Temp to high during the day? Water change conditioning off? Temperature difference of water change stressed him out? Something else I'm missing?

I want to try again since I really like having the fish even though it didn't last long. Do I replace all of the water before adding a new betta?

Sorry if this was long trying to give as much information as I could.

Thanks for your help.
drewdigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #2 
ConorM

It is the temp. Conditioning couldn't be I estimate mine if I add any water and my betta is healthy. I've had him for over a week. The temp. spikes probably stressed him and killed him. I keep my tank at 78-80 degreesF. Another explanation is that(being a new fish) you bought a sick fish. Look around for symptoms of betta ailments. They're easy to see.
ConorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry for your loss....

You may have got a sick fish to start.....however, what I would recommend.....make a 50% water change and vacuum really good-Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank...

Get your new Betta and be sure to acclimate properly to both water temp and water chemistry by adding small amounts of tank water to the holding container that the Betta is in over about 30 min...Be sure and throw any pet shop water out...you never want to add that to the tank...

Since your tank isn't cycled......make 50% weekly with vacuum-starting on day 4-Be sure and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank...then test the water daily and make a second 50% water only based on ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater if you are using the liquid reagent type testing product...if the strips.....make a second 50% water only weekly along with the regular schedule 50% with vacuum until the nitrogen cycle has established....4-8 weeks or when you have nitrate 5-10ppm without any ammonia, nitrite spikes...

Use your thermometer and monitor the water temp for water changes and try to keep it within a few degrees between new and old water...5-10 degrees difference in replacement water generally will not cause problems for a healthy Betta.......But often new Bettas are stress from the move and the new bigger space...

Water temp-as long as the Betta is not showing signs of distress in the warmer water I wouldn't worry too much at 80-85F-if he is showing distress lower the temp by removing the hood, turning the light off, unplug the heater, lower the water level so the filter can splash more.....

Good luck and look forward to seeing pic of your new Betta....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

I agree with OFL. Most likely your fish was sick to begin with, especially since it's only been 4 days. I doubt the temperature flux had much to do with it. Bettas are extremely hardy, my outdoor fish experience a temp change of probably 10 degrees or more throughout the day.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #5 
drewdigg

Thanks for your help. Should I also clean the ornaments, filter, thermometer and heater before adding a new fish?

Not sure what you mean by dose the dechlorinator for full volume of tank. Does that mean with a 50% water change I should add the full amount of the conditioner (1 tbsp) for 10 gallons to the 5 gallons before I add it to the tank?
drewdigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Since a fish died in the tank I would take the tank apart and clean it really well.. but that's just me.

You can either estimate the amount of dechlor needed for a partial water change or just add the full dose. Personally I add my untreated tap water back into the tank and then add a full dose of dechlor, even if I'm only doing a partial water change. Extra dechlor is not going to hurt anything and it's better to have too much than too little.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Very true....also, some dechlorinator recommend that you dose double if you have chloramine in the source water along with the chlorine...check your label.....its really hard to overdose dechlorinators unless you are using the type that has aloe in it and even then it would take a lot to harm a Betta..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

Everything OFL & 1fish2fish said :)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #9 
undercutter

probably ammonia, even little amounts can be deadly

you are basically trying to cycle your tank with your betta so of course it's dieing
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

0.25ppm level of ammonia and the fish being in the tank for only 4 days is NOT going to kill the fish. Its very rude to insinuate that the OP killed his/her fish because ammonia was present in the tank. These are extremely hardy fish and have been found surviving in much higher levels of ammonia than that.

And a fish in cycle CAN be done safely and effectively. I've done fish in cycles before and my fish lived very long and healthy lives.