Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #21 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I'd go with Hardy Mums (Chrysanthemums). They're easy to grow and they come in all kinds of colors. They're not terribly low growing but you can keep them low and bushy by pinching blooms when they're spent. They might not be around garden centers for another month though.

Home depot was my best friend. I just went around for a while, reading every tag and trying out many different things. So, check out garden centers now and talk to someone there. There might be a low growing late bloomer that I don't know about.
Thanks for the tip. I'm also becoming a Home Depot hag since we built this house. It never ends.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #22 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Fighter those are some absolutely amazing pictures. I've already looked at them 3 times.

Wow.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

Beautiful pics.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #24 
fightergirl2710

Thanks guys :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #25 
vaygirl

When I went out today for hoagies I saw they had Mums out in front of the supermarket, so they're our there.

I got a picture of the cutest female goldfinch sitting on a basket handle and eating seeds from my Thai Basil. I'll post it later on. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #26 
Fermin

Great pics everyone!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #27 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
My spring/summer garden didn't go so well this year... I'm not sure what happened...maybe it was just too hot? I have planted some pumpkins though so hopefully we will at least get some fall pumpkins...I also have some watermelon plants growing...and a green pepper plant..
Oooh, watermelons! I've always wanted to try those. Have your pumpkins started growing? Mine flower flower flower but no pumpkins yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
As a new(ish) homeowner, I'm learning just how difficult this whole gardening thing is. We spent about $500 on perennials and shrubs earlier this year and about 1/3 of them are dead. So I'm in a learning curve this year and hopefully by next year I'll have a better grasp on this.
New homeowner here, too! I spent $50 on dozens of annuals and ended up only planting, like 10 of them. The rest died in the greenhouse (who knew how hot it gets in there???) and of the ones I planted, maybe 3 of them are doing well.

Ah well. At least my peas grew! So proud of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I'm in my fifth year I think. Still learning. Like I learned this year that if you don't keep your tomatoes on the deck, deer will come in the night and eat them. I pretty much rely on Miracle Gro. I use it on everything.
Your patio garden is gorgeous! You might be still learning, but wow, you've already learned a lot! Your puppy dog is soooper cute, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
We have a lot of birds and animals coming in :)

Wow. Just wow. That's absolutely breath-taking! The garden, the flowers, the birds, and critters. You must live in paradise!

*looks over at raggedy garden*

Maybe I'll wait to post pictures
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #28 
hmckin20

ohman! i can't wait to get my own house to grow some of my own food. right now i have a few plants at my parents, including a primrose bush, a small tree of unknown sorts, a small flowering bush of unknown sorts (these things blow into our yards and plant themselves and i just take care of them. aha) a little basil plant and some baby's breath. AND A CACTUS.

i used to have morning glories and managed to grow them up to the roof of our old house (:

vaygirl- your garden is GORGEOUS :O
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #29 
vaygirl

Oh no! Post pictures. I posted my sad little back flower bed. It's all learning. Thanks for the compliment. :D

Last year EVERYTHING died because I don't have a hose back there and we had zero rain for over a month. This year I bought 100 feet of hose and I run it through my front door and out the back door. My neighbors think I'm crazy anyway.

Little Miss Goldfinch eating my Thai Basil seeds. I feed them Nyjer seed all the time so they're always here. I love them. <3

Edit: Thanks everyone. :D

Last edited by vaygirl; 08-06-2011 at 11:59 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #30 
fightergirl2710

Thanks fishcurl, I only live there a month in a year though, my usual place is a concrete jungle lol!
Vaygirl, that finch is so cute, you got an adorable shot!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote