Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #31 
fishcurl

What a great picture, that's fantastic! We have birds, too. But they're small, brown, nondescript, and take off the moment you look at them with binoculars and/or a camera. I did have a purple finch eating something in the front yard for awhile but I never could get a pic of him.

Today I'm planning on digging up the old pea bed and mixing in new compost. I still need to soak the peas and get innoculant, so they won't go into the ground until tomorrow.

However, I'm excited to say that I found carrot seed tape! My carrot germination success was super spotty this spring - only about 1/4 of what I planted actually grew. I think the seeds got washed away and eaten up. I'm hoping this seed tape will give me better success. I really want a fall crop of carrots.
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #32 
vaygirl

You're so lucky to be able to grow veggies. I would love to do that. They put SO many pesticides in our grass here I'm afraid to eat anything that would come out of our ground.

So, it's a learning experience. I just found out that the pineapple sage I have next to the deck won't survive the winter in our zone. I'm a little sad but, really that means I can do something all new next year!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #33 
dramaqueen
Banned

My tomato plant produced 2 tomatoes and there is a 3rd one that hasn't turned red yet. It has blooms on it but they aren't turning into tomatoes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #34 
vaygirl

There's a spray you can buy to encourage your tomato plant to set fruit. It has hormones or something. I didn't use it this year and got waaay less. The deer didn't help either. They also don't like it when it's too hot.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #35 
fishcurl

Bees need to visit your flowers. The more they visit, the more chance the flowers will turn to fruit

There's special fertilizer you can get just for tomatoes that encourages blooms. There's also tomato fertilizer spikes which are super easy. Just stick them in the soil around the plant and forget about it. I used them last year at my community garden and wow, did those plants every produce!

EDIT: I dumped my fish poo water on the hostas today. Great way to conserve water, thanks Pew for suggesting it!
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

I did put Miracle Grow on it. It's in a pot so that might be the problem.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #37 
PewPewPew

My grammie gave me cutting of what she calls her coreolus plant...but Idk if thats the real name. Theyre really lovely, much brighter and more vibrant in person!!

Theyve gotta grow roots in water for a while and then they'll be planted with nice poop water! >:D

No problem, fishcurl!!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #38 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very pretty!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #39 
PewPewPew

Oh! I found the name. Coleus. Silly grammie :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #40 
fightergirl2710

Oh I think we have that too! Well, it looks similar XD I didn't know the name but it is pretty! And rampant -__-

fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote