Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Anyone Here Have Guppies? Need Help

One of my new guppies is pregnant and she's already given birth. I currently have the one fry in a netbreeder in my 10g. I sprinkled some Hikari First Bites and a bit of freeze-dried daphnia in there but it's not sinking. Will the fry eventually rise up to eat? The momma guppy is in a 2.5g, no filter, with as many plants as I could find on short notice once I realized she was dropping fry; previously she had been with 2 other guppies in a 3 gallon quarantine tank with filter. I know now she dropped at least two fry before the one I found because I found their sad little bodies while cleaning the tank but at the time I was unclear as to whether or not they really were fry (seeing the live fry made it clear in hindsight though).

My questions are these:
* She seems to drop one a day; right now she still looks quite pregnant so will she continue giving birth until she shrinks?
* How long can the fry live in the netbreeder? Would it be better to put it in an 8 cup Gladware? I am unable to get another tank for it until Monday.
* Are Hikari First Bites okay as food? I wasn't expecting this so the only reason I have the HFB is because they were a free sample with the breeder I bought for my sorority. Thank goodness!

The little fry is pretty lively and zipped around my 10g after falling through the 3-way breeder (stupid thing, even had the plastic bottom on it). At least I got my female betta out before she could have herself a fry meal. It took me quite a while to catch the fry and put in the netbreeder. I would estimate it's about 5 hrs old by now. Any advice or help you can offer to insure its survival, and that of the mother and any other fry I may end up with would be hugely appreciated. Also any advice on feeding and caring for these guppies would be great too. They seem reluctant to eat in quarantine but they have to stay there for at least a week; I won't risk putting them in my 10g until I know they are healthy.

Edit: I can also move the fry to an 8 cup Gladware with a moss ball that is being quarantined, if it would be better for it to be with live plants . . . or whatever the moss ball really is.

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-24-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Sometimes they take longer to give birth than others, as long as she doesn't start behaving weirdly, like trying to jump out and stuff, she'll be fine. I'd say don't worry about them being in the net breeder, they'll be fine till the mommy's done birthing. don't do big water changes, it might shock them... First Bites is fine, I just crush up normal fish pellets and feed them. Last thing, don't freak out! :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Don't freak out. Don't freak out. Don't freak out. Okay, gotta work on that one. What would I do without you to keep me sane, Fighter?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #4 
vette91

I have some floating plants in my guppy tank and a fair amount of fry tend to stay alive. I don't have homes for the hundreds of fry that have come from my original two females. One of her drops she had almost 40 fry.
As for food... I just feed mine smaller flakes. They will even nibble and pull around full flakes.
I'm no "breeder" But i have had my fair share of pregnancies over the past year.
As for how long it will take to give birth... when i noticed, she tended to start out slowly with one or two an hour and then by the 5th or 6th hour she would just drop them all fairly quickly.
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Hmm. So far, she's dropping like one a day. I think she may have stopped altogether but I'll keep her in the 2.5g for a few days more just in case. Maybe she dropped most of them at the pet store before I got her? Thanks for the info, vette91!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

No advice, no breeder here. I have a tiny little Swordtail fry that's over a week old. I didn't find him until the other day LOL Good luck with your fry babies!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #7 
vette91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hmm. So far, she's dropping like one a day. I think she may have stopped altogether but I'll keep her in the 2.5g for a few days more just in case. Maybe she dropped most of them at the pet store before I got her? Thanks for the info, vette91!
If its her first drop its very likely she will have fewer. The older my original guppy got she started to drop more and more. And now she is tapering off. She she might either be an ametuer or she's old. But i'm assuming she's just a youngin' :D
best of luck though!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Pitluvs, where are you keeping your swordtail fry? I moved my fry to a Gladware so I could clean the bottom of the tank, now I'm wondering if I should leave it in there or not.

vette91, sheesh, I hope they didn't sell me an old one but with pet stores, you never know. Maybe it's her first drop and she's not too experienced at this yet. The poor little fry looks so lonely all by itself. Is it customary for them to stay on the bottom during the first few days? It does swim up and around but spends most of its time on the bottom.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #9 
vette91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
vette91, sheesh, I hope they didn't sell me an old one but with pet stores, you never know. Maybe it's her first drop and she's not too experienced at this yet. The poor little fry looks so lonely all by itself. Is it customary for them to stay on the bottom during the first few days? It does swim up and around but spends most of its time on the bottom.

Depending on the drop, some have stayed near the top and some near the bottom. I have never been able to tell a difference between them. Some end up getting eaten by the mother and or other guppies and some live. None have had genetic defects. But i have had plenty stay at the bottom and do fine. So i don't believe that is anything to worry about. There are pieces of food that will drop down there and they will find them.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Thank you sooo much, vette91, you're really helping to set my mind at ease. I only have the one fry so far but I bought it a little kritter keeper to stay in so no danger of it being eaten. I imagine when the adults are through with their quarantine and I put them in the big 10g, I'll get some fry eaten but for now, I'm content to raise this little one. Hehe, I'm a nervous first-time fish mother. Except my dad calls me fish grandmother. :p